Chapter 1

I look in the mirror and smile at the person I see. Her blond hair runs down her back, curly and golden. Her smile is radiant, her eyes bright. She looks happy, she looks beautiful.

Then I look at my reflection and frown. I look nothing like my mother. I never new her. She died during childbirth.

My name is Lorena. My dark brown hair hangs dull, just below my shoulders. My grey blue eyes stare back and me, full of sadness.

Loosing both parents is hard on a teenage girl.

After my mother died, my father fell in love. She was a lovely woman, blond hair, a little plump, happy dancing eyes, and she was super nice.

See how I said, was?

As soon as she married my father, she turned horrid. She hated me from the start, and always made me do all her dirty work for her. Cleaning, fetching things for her, groceries.

She never did it when my father was around, and I never had the guts to tell him.

One day he went away on a business trip, to Gold Coast. He went the beach, he didn't pay attention to the high waves warning. He was a 'live life to the fullest' kind of guy.

Sadly, he drowned that day.

Oh, but that's not all. The icing on the cake, was that my new step mother came with strings attached. Two strings.

Jennifer and Josh. Twin brother and sister.

Nightmare life, I'm telling you.

I hear someone honking a horn outside.

"I'm coming I'm coming!"

I run outside, grabbing my bag on the way. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror before I leave.

I look like a thirteen year old girl who had a bad home made hair cut, not a fifteen year old about to start year 10.

At least people have stopped asking if I'm starting high school this year, right?

I run out the front and jump into my best friend Melody's car.

"Melody oh my gosh! Your hair!"

Her hair is light blue.

"Relax! I bleached it first, so it would be a softer colour and you can see the white through it. Cool huh?"

"Totally!" I say getting over my shock. Then I frown. "Won't you get in trouble?"

"Don't worry about it Lorena. You stress too much!"

We finally arrive at school. First day of a new year. Better make a good impression.

I hold my head high, and get out of Melodys cream vw beetle.

"Hey, nice car loser girl!" Jimmy yells out, and I hide behind a curtain of hair, pulling Melody along behind me, walking very quickly.

"Lorrie! You can't let him win! Just cause he's one of the cool guys, doesn't mean he can mess with you." Melody says.

"I know I know."

Jennifer and Josh push past me, knocking me to the ground.

My bag opens and books scatter everywhere. I scramble to pick then up, Melody helping me, and two hairs of hands reach down to help me. I smile.

James and Catrina. My other two best friends.

We're all the weirdo fisfits, but hey who cares?

James is your typical geek, glasses, dark hair, sweet, sensitive, shy.

Catrina is like me. We are literally, like twins. Both always help people, but get nothing in return, always overlooked, on the edges. I guess that's what brought us together.