Chapter thirty-two

Kate's POV

He was gone. And by gone, I mean full out drunk.

Thanks to Amelia and her sly move of drugging his latte, I've got him now.

One thing I've learnt from all those times Ned has come back home drunk as hell, is that he will usually confess many things, depending on how intoxicated he is.

I sat politely in front of him, examining his face properly for the first time in what seemed like forever.

My dear husband. I used to love this same face so much. Except now there is something else too.

Maybe it's some sort of evilness or something that screams murder. Rapist. Criminal. I don't know what but I could feel it screwing up the face of the Ned I used to know and love.

"Ned." I said. It's all I said.

It's all I had time to say.

"I am a murder. I am a rapist, I am a criminal. You caught me and its over now." He held his blank expression.

I sat there like an idiot, mouth agape. This was not how I had planned this to go. It took me a moment to realise it.

My dear husband. I used to love this same face so much. Except now there is something else too.

Maybe it's some sort of evilness or something that screams murder. Rapist. Criminal. I don't know what but I could feel it screwing up the face of the Ned I used to know and love.

I had said it all out loud.

"Kelly is dead, and you have misbehaved with my children I will not spare you!" I felt the anger boil but kept my voice down in courtesy of the other customers.

"Why did you use Kelly's phone?"

"Because you may have suspected me otherwise."

Ned looked at me for a hard moment. "Did you drug my latte?"

"Yes," I said a matter of factly.

"Why?"

This wasn't how he usually acted when he was drunk.

"Because you blurt things out when you're drunk."

"And...do I look drunk to you?"

He was right. He had no symptoms of a drunk person.

Ned pointed to the door. "As soon as you walked in through that door, paired with the smell of vanilla spice latte, I was the most sober person on the planet. I knew it was over and I was screwed Kate. I had lost the person I had loved the most in this world."

"I-"

"Let me finish. I'm not a good guy Kate. And you know why I'm like this? Because of you. You are the one who set eyes on another man. Your love for Leo was obvious. It always has been. And it always will be. But in my eyes, you are still the gorgeous woman I fell in love with and I will always love you. "

I was dumbstruck to a point that I couldn't produce words.

"I was hurt Kate. You hurt me." He lay back against the chair and let out a sigh. "But I know you love him like you won't love me. Yes. It was me. I tried to kill Leo. I manipulated Kelly. I raped Mia. I tried to take you away from your true love. It was all me. And I know that's exactly what you wanted to hear Kate."

He pointed to my phone that was in my pocket, recording his every word.

"Y-you can't run. I have proof against you."

Ned glanced at me. And he smiled. A genuine smile.

"I know. I gave it to you. But trust me, you won't be needing it."

He reached into his own pocket and pulled out his phone.

"Hello? Police?"

***

Leo's POV

Kate sat next to me in the passengers seat, as we concealed ourselves from the public.

The story Kate told me was still sinking in. "Ned actually turned himself in?"

Kate nodded, to shocked too say anything.

"It didn't go to plan at all. But it turned out so very different from what I had thought. He turned out so different from what I had thought. I feel guilty Leo. I didn't know he felt that way."

"Kate-"

"I hurt him just as much as he hurt me, but only I didn't notice it."

"Nothing compares to what he did."

"You're right," she sniffed, wiping away some tears.

My heart was aching for Kate. I couldn't watch her drowning in her sorrow like this.

"Do you want to get a huge double chocolate sundae and share it?"

She choked out a laugh. "You are such a small child Leo."

I looked at myself. "I had my doubts, but you've pretty much confirmed them honey."

"You jackass."

"Yeah I suppose Jack did have a nice ass," I joked, referring to my own butt and my role as Jack Dawson in Titanic.

"Shut up you dimwit and take me to my double chocolate sundae."