CHAPTER I

LOCATION; North LondonTIME; 17th January - 9:35

TIME; 17th January - 9:35

════════════════

IT IS AT THIS MOMENT, THAT THE lingering taste of honey coated lies and sugar scented dreams, smothers her saccharine lips as she chokes on a fantasy of morning and dew and the first summer sun that shines soft rays upon roseate cheeks. Albeit in her thoughts, and in her thoughts alone, she can almost feel the soft heat- kissing every inch of her open skin as she stands amidst a meadow of green- whetted shards of damp grass poking her bare feet.

She sinks into utopia, drowning in gold and dining on silver- wistful and blissfully oblivious in the centre of muted chaos. The curves of her face are gilded with a sheen of glossy sweat upon sheer bronze, carved into jagged lines and uneven edges, as reality cuts away to the bone- slit by slit, mark by mark- until she is unrecognisable, unidentifiable.

Her fingers curl around the vandalised metal of a street lamp, scratching curses into the obsidian finish. She presses her entire weight against the unstable structure as winter pours down with tears of rue, dampening her hair into a matted curled mess that clings to her skin for dear life. She purses her lips, barely breathing, holding out a trembling, drenched arm towards the clear, black road and soon, a crimson coloured bus chugs to a slow stop, sighing sluggishly- doors flinging open.

The driver, a rather crinkly looking man, with long, pale cheeks folded together like paper sheets upon fleshless bone, passes a slightly solemn look as she steps in with quivering limbs. Pressing her card onto the receiver with frozen fingertips, she spares him the most soulless of glances, trudging down the empty, artificially lit aisle with mere repose.

"Wendi!"

She freezes- overwhelming algid cold clutching her frame into an unmovable state. Ice crawls over her stature, seeping into her veins and her blood and her heart and her soul and everything in between until her lungs shatter into shards and her last breath is a ghostly white. She can just about hear him, marching down the plastic floor with his oversized combat boots, thundering against the weak surface below. His own breaths are heavy, heaving and wheezing against the grain of the moving air and finally, a scorching hot hand lands gently on her shoulder.

She melts.

"I... I told you to wait- god, look at you- you'll catch a cold," Reese pants, turning her this way as that, smoothing calloused hands over damp cheeks and soggy hair. She over-floods, trembling in his grip as he pulls them down to a stable position in the flat cushioned seats. "Why did you just leave? No- why didn't tell any of us you were going?"

The torrid heat of his palms is no longer comforting- she slides out his grip- stiffening into glaze. "It doesn't matter,"

"Of course it does; to me it does,"

She frowns, the liquid bronze of her brow rippling into creases of disbelief. "It shouldn't matter- least of all to you, Reese," the venom drips from her words, scorching his empty chest until it bleeds from the wounds. "I appreciate it, I really do, but you don't have to help me anymore. You don't have to care anymore,"

"Hey, don't talk like that. I'll always care, whether we're together or not,"

A callous laugh rips out from her broken lungs. The sound is desperately loud- almost hysteric. A few heads turn- some eyes roll and she is silenced to a shy murmur, "That's hilarious, truly," the sarcasm dries out her lips, leaving them chapped and broken- like shattered tile on spilt blood. "You left me for her, one of my closest friends for goodness sake,"

"I didn't!" he hisses, his bruised cheeks flaming red, "You know that, you of all people know-"

"Yes, I know. I know. That's why it breaks me to hear how others talk about us- like they know us and how they whisper and pity me behind my back. It's sickening- I hate it and it's all your fault,"

"Well," he grimaces, "I guess I'm sorry that you never loved me back, then,"

She snaps her head upward- bones cracking, heart breaking, meeting his hazel gaze with a look of intent, "I did. I liked you so much it hurt and... and I was just scared-"

"Of what, Wendi- losing yourself? Opening up to someone else? What were you so bloody scared of that you couldn't even look or talk to me, sometimes, huh?"

But the ice returns at full force, congealing her words into nought instead. Reese shakes his head, rising upwards as the monotonous overhead speaker signals the next stop, "Get up, I'll walk you home this time."

A shiver writhes down the length of her weak spine, sinking it's black teeth into her soft flesh and tangling itself with the bone. She feels the agony of her pasts mistakes inflate within her skin, taking over her entire being until it is death pounding in her chest in lieu of her heart.

She melts.

════════════════

[a/n] hello again, my loves!
this will be a short story- a novella- so it's longer than visuals but way shorter than any of the other 'full-length' books here.
this will be more fun, for me at least. ever since i read and watched peter pan, as a younger kid, i came up with theories as to what would happen next and this one has been in my mind for a couple of years now. since i've seen a few of peter pan stories recently on and out of wattpad, i decided to give it a go myself. hopefully, the updates will be every week.
thank you for joining this journey of peter pan after the fairy tale, and don't hesitate to comment your thoughts, corrections or whatever at any point during the story.

may your dreams be full of pixie dust,
ana

[ A N T I H E R O © 2017 ]