Chapter 6

Nixie

I twisted round searching to find whoever it was that had set my spine tingling, but was unable to locate anything of interest and time was running short for me to decide upon my next course of action.

The scent of sphelka drifted in my direction.

I raced in the direction of the park's exit, the residents would have to sort out the whole deer issue. Several people gasped as I leaped over the small fence surrounding the area, (it's only purpose clearly was to look “pretty”, it was pathetically short) and hurriedly ran past their stationary figures. I continued towards the cover of the forest when I was abruptly cut off by a large grey male wolf. No, not wolf, sphelka.

Too close, too close.

Changing my direction slightly, the “wolf” hot on my tail, I charged along the pavement, breathing quickening with anticipation, nerves and excitement.

As I again neared the line of trees the wolf barged into my side causing me to tumble over on the concrete, my thick fur luckily protected my body from obtaining any serious scrapes but I was left dazed for a moment. I heard him approaching and quickly jumped up snarling, he paused at this tilting his head to the side innocently. He was lean but muscular, his grey fur much lighter than mine, with hints of brown red and tan filtering through, he was much taller than me also; in his animal form he made me feel like a puppy.

He began to step forward again at which I uttered a warning growl my hackles raised threateningly, he completely ignored me this time.

Fine, if you want to play it that way...

I lunged forward biting down on his snout hard, earning a yelp from him and ran into the forest in one fluid movement. I powered on triumphantly too, at least until I felt teeth snapping at my hind legs. Damn it.

I tried swerving and weaving though some tight spots to shake him but somehow he was managing to keep pace with me and, consequently, thoroughly annoy me. Stupid boy.

Tiring of the monotonousness of his chasing but not getting anywhere routine, I stopped dead. He ran slightly ahead of me before his breaks kicked in and then walked back up to me, before he could get too close though I started to trot forward at a leisurely pace. I was pleased to find that I was correct in thinking that he wasn't going to attack me, instead he just trotted along next to me and nudged my shoulder. I guess I wasn't the only one playing sheep-dog today.

Huffing grumpily I allowed myself to be led, however if he was taking me to be imprisoned or something I was seriously going to kick his butt later on.

After a short while we entered a clearing, a clearing with a house at it's centre. The house was an okay size and was made of wood with a porch. It was altogether very pretty. But that wasn't what caught my attention, no, it was the overwhelming sense of deja vu as I stood looking at this pretty little home that had me feeling off balance.

How did I recognise this place? When had I been here before?

I was brought out of my thought filled haze when I felt the wolf-boy changing. In a flash of golden brown magic he stood before me, clad in some band t-shirt and dark was jeans (the magic involved in our phases meant that we kept our clothing). I backed away slightly, wary.

He knelt down on one knee, his blue grey eyes soft but cautious were looking me straight in the eye, pleading. Stretching his hand out in front of him.

Slowly I approached him, my head low, never breaking eye contact; I sniffed his palm.

He smelled woodsy and fresh but most importantly he smelled familiar.

Biscuit boy.

He carefully raised his other hand and brushed it along the fur behind my battered ear, just like he used to.

“Hey Cookie.” I heard him whisper softly

Sighing, I leaned into his hand and rubbed my face along his arm affectionately, familiarly. He laughed and buried his head into the fur on my neck, both hands clinging onto me tightly. I don't know how long we stayed wrapped in each-other’s embrace like that, but eventually he let go and I stretched my legs out in front of me, yawning sleepily and gave him a wolfy grin. He chuckled lowly, and reached into his pocket, I couldn't help but sit up straight and look at him expectantly.

He smiled slightly, but shook his head, pulling out a set of keys instead.

“Well I see someone hasn't changed.” He stated teasingly “Sorry Cook, I haven't got anything for you today, but I’d quite happily invite you to dinner if you'd change and come into my house.” He said with flashing me an amused look.

I just snorted and rolled my eyes, standing. His smile fell slightly here and his gaze became less happy and amused.

“Still don't fancy talking to me I see.” His slight smile softened these words a bit, I stared sadly back and slowly turned to leave. “Wait! Come back tomorrow, I promise I'll have a special present for you then to make up for my lacking today, what do you say?”  Dammit, he looked so hopeful...

I turned my head to look at him and huffed out a breath before twisting back and trotting into the woods.

Well, it wasn't as though we didn't both know I was coming back...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__________________________________________________________________________

A/N: sorry it's taken so long, have got loads of exams/coursework on atm and on top of that spent the weekend away at some international agility competition - exhausted.

bear in mind this is unedited because am sleepy and going 2 bed nowz...

VOTE AND COMMENT!!!!