Chapter One (#BattleTheBeast)

BATTLE THE BEAST

Chapter One

The soft flutter of an army of wings filled the air as dark clouds crowded the Fillory sky.

"Quentin, he's here," whispered Alice.

I nodded and pulled a small vial from my pocket.

Julia and Penny began making a series of triangles with their fingers. Kady joined in, leading them in a soft chant, "Rilo vila oustra carnt. Boroux jesco levant."

"Are you here to end things once and for all, Quentin?" boomed a deep voice.

Squaring my shoulders, I waited for The Beast to draw nearer.

"I could kill all of you with a single spell, you know that, don't you, Quentin?" he spat. "But, I think it's more enjoyable to watch you squirm. End your lives one by one."

"Not this time." I pulled the vial and threw it at The Beast's feet. The moths dropped to the ground and a young Martin Chatwin blinked, a nefarious grin spreading across his face.

"You think a little time travelling magic will stop me?" he snarled.

I took a step back and shouted, "Now, Penny!"

In a flash, Penny grabbed Martin and disappeared.

"READY!" I yelled as Professor Sunderland dropped her cloak of invisibility.

Linking arms, everything went black before we tumbled through to the Neitherworld.

All signs of Martin had disappeared. The moths had returned and hovered around The Beast's face. "Clever, boy," snarled The Beast. "But you're already too late. Your little potion doesn't work here in Fillory!"

I turned in horror as The Beast lifted Penny's lifeless body off the ground and threw him into a fountain.

"PENNY!" screamed Kady.

"We'll get him back, Kady! Just stick to the plan!" shouted Margo.

The Beast tilted his head to the side. A loud crack followed by a rumbling fit of laughter ensued. "You think you can end me here? In the Neitherworlds? I know these fountains like the back of my hand. I'll scatter your remains in ten different worlds before you can even blink!"

Closing my eyes, I began chanting with the others. Our hands moved in perfect synchronization as we repeated the words, "Rilo vila oustra carnt. Boroux jesco levant. Rilo vila oustra carnt. Boroux jesco levant. "Rilo vila oustra carnt. Boroux jesco levant!"

Alice stepped forward and pointed the Leo Blade at The Beast. She repeatedly slashed up, down, and from left to right. Small streaks of silver and blue trailed through the air until a door appeared.

With a single push, the door swung open revealing Eliot and the librarian.

"What is SHE doing here," hissed The Beast.

Alice circled the Leo Blade above her head, creating a thick metallic blue chain.

"Martin, you and I both know why I'm here," the librarian answered. "I helped you once as a young man and I'm here to help you again."

The Beast pointed a yellow claw at Julia and swiped to the left, cutting her throat.

The blood drained from my face as she dropped to the ground, coughing up mouthfuls of blood.

"Oh, you don't want to see your friends die, Quentin?" chortled The Beast. "Surrender and they shall live."

"I'll never surrender to evil," I spat. Reaching above my head, my fingers performed a sequence of movements.

The Beast threw his head back and laughed as the earth began to groan under our feet.

"Now, Alice!" I shouted.

With the flick of her wrist, the chain shot toward The Beast, wrapping around his feet and waist.

"There's not enough," she screamed.

The Beast thrashed at the chains, but could not remove them. His skin sizzled and smoked as he let out a shriek of pain. Lifting his hands into the air, he snapped Alice's arm, causing the Leo Blade to drop to the ground.

Crying out in pain, Alice dove for the blade. Wrapping her fingers around it, she jumped to her feet and flung it at The Beast.

As the blade punctured The Beast's neck, he howled in pain. Clawing, he desperately tried to remove the Leo Blade from his tough hide, but failed.

The librarian nodded at Eliot, who tossed an open book through the air, pages blowing as it landed in her outstretched arms.

She held the book with both hands and took a step toward The Beast. "For now you shall be safe in my hands. Far, far, far away from distant lands. With me you'll forever stay, from now until the end of days."

The Beast bellowed as the chains tightened around his body and the ground beneath his feet disappeared.

The pages of the book began emitting a soft glow, sucking the chained Beast closer to the librarian.

"Noooooo!" he hissed as the end of the chain grew and secured his arms to his side.

"Martin, this is for the best," she said in a calm voice. "For everyone."

Flecks of light exploded from the book, attaching themselves to The Beast and pulling his body within inches of the open pages.

"Goodbye, Martin," said the librarian as she pulled the Leo Blade from his neck. A strong gust swept the courtyard and pulled The Beast into the book. Throwing the book to the ground, she plunged the Leo Blade through the cover. "Now you'll never be able to hurt anyone again."

*******

Thank you for reading the first chapter of my #BattleTheBeast contest submission! All comments and votes are massively appreciated! 

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo