Chapter Two (#BattleTheBeast)

BATTLE THE BEAST

Chapter Two

As the book lay on the ground, a soft moan filled the air.

I raced over to Julia and Alice's still bodies. Pressing my fingers to their necks, I felt a faint pulse.

Professor Sunderalnd scurried over and applied pressure to the gash in Julia's neck. "I'll transport them to medical at Brakebills. Eliot, help bring the book back to the library. Quentin, Margo and Kady, go find Penny!" 

Nodding, Eliot and the librarian took off in one direction as I raced in the other.

We dove into the fountain headfirst, emerging a moment later in a dense forest.

"Penny!" shouted Kady. "Penny, where are you?"

Forming a small glowing ball with my hands, I released it into the woods. It zigzagged through fallen limbs and long grass before hovering over small clearing.

Sprinting through the trees and brush, we made it to the clearing moments before the light started to fade.

Kady dropped to her knees and wrapped her arms around Penny.

"Is he okay?" shouted Julia.

"I am, but I can barely breathe," Penny responded, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Pulling back, Kady laughed. "Sorry," she said as she wiped the tears streaming down her face with the back of her hand. "I'm just so glad you're alive."

Penny reached out and cupped her face. "Me too."

Margo cleared her throat. "I hate to break up this reunion, but we need to get back to Brakebills."

"Think you can walk?" I asked Penny.

He nodded. "Yeah, but I might need a little help."

We lifted Penny to his feet, sliding one of his arms around my neck and the other around Kady.

"Wait," he said wincing in pain.

"What's wong?" asked Kady. "Do you need us to wait a few minutes?"

He shook his head. "No, I just need to know one thing before we go anywhere. Did we win?" 

*******

Thank you for reading the second chapter of my #BattleTheBeast contest submission! All comments and votes are massively appreciated!

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo