one

two years.

it’s been two years since the incident, two years since i’ve been near the ocean.

people say two years fly by, but that’s only because they’re enjoying themselves, having fun. the past two years have been the most agonizing, painful years of my existence.

i don’t remember much after seeing my bloody flesh. i guess someone heard my screams, and called for a lifeguard, but when i woke up, i was in my familiar, vanilla-scented bed. i sighed with relief, thinking it was a dream, but once i removed myself from the bed, i saw that the gap where the shark bit me was replaced by a fake leg.

it’s hard, so hard to live with it. it’s hard to walk around town when all they can talk about is me. the ocean is practically empty of surfers and swimmers, expect the occasional ones that only dare to stay a few feet from the shore. when i pass by, people stare at me like i’m a monster. some laugh, some give me the pity look, and some just don’t take notice.

you’d think it’d be a scene right out of the movie where everyone praises the girl that survived. the girl continues to surf, but it’s not. reality is much, much different. no one praises me, no one cares that i survived, i’m just the monster that has a fake leg, and i don’t dare to go back into the ocean.

sometimes i look out the window in my room, at the ocean. it’s a look of longing, my dad says. he says that i miss it, and i won’t deny it, i do, but i can’t face it again. heck, i can’t even face looking in the mirror at myself. the mirror that covered one wall of my bedroom has been removed, leaving my room dull. all our appliances have been replaced by plastic ones because metal is reflective, but it’s no use. every morning, i wake up and i see it. the memories flood back, the pain fills my mind all over again. the only time my mind’s at peace is the hours i’m unconscious, where i dream that i have a perfectly normal life, but dreams are full of shit. they raise my hopes, and i imagine myself as old mabel warren, but my leg’s never going to be fixed. i won’t ever be able to face the ocean again.

keep in mind, this is a short story

and for mabel, you can imagine whoever you want

kay bye