Chapter 2

After leaving an ashen-faced Malcolm, I called Liz and got the rest of the day off by pretending to have a migraine. I knew she didn't believe me, but she didn't push the issue. I raced to the first nail salon I came across and got a deluxe manicure. As I drove home, I continued to admire the beautiful French tips at the ends of the fingers on my left hand. I tried to imagine what my ring finger would look when adorned with a diamond. What kind of ring would Javi get?

In my apartment, I ran a bubble bath with Zoey's expensive, wonderful-smelling products, and soaked for a while before rifling through my closet and pulling on a lacy, navy blue cocktail dress. I was appreciating my curves, when the intercom buzzed, letting me know my hot date had arrived.

I all but skipped to the front door and pushed the button to allow Javi access to the building. Less than a minute later, there was a knock on the apartment door. I threw it open and drank in the sight of my boyfriend. As usual, his chocolaty brown eyes and perfectly wavy hair made me clutch at the base of my throat for my imaginary pearls.

"You always look wonderful," Javi said before giving me a brief peck on the lips, "but tonight you really outdid yourself. I'm glad I decided to spiffy up."

I held out my arms and did a slow spin. "Oh, this old thing?"

"It's not just the dress—it's you. You're even more radiant than usual."

"Why, sir, you really know how to flatter a girl," I cooed as I put a hand on his chest. I let my hand roam under his coat, trying to figure out where he'd hidden the ring box.

Javi groaned and removed my hand, but held it in his. "Reese, you know what that tone of voice does to me. Keep it up and we won't make it to dinner."

No dinner meant no proposal. No proposal meant no engagement ring.

"I'm starving," I announced, all business. "Let's go." I let go of his hand and grabbed my coat from the back of the sofa.

Javi blinked at me, then narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "That was a quick change in attitude."

I shrugged a shoulder, the picture of innocence. "I had a light lunch. Where are we going, anyway?"

Javi smiled, his eyes sparkling with mischief. "It's a surprise."

I smiled back at him as I wrapped my scarf around my neck. "Hopefully, the first of many."

Javi's brow furrowed in confusion then relaxed. "I guess we'll see. Come on, or we're going to be late for our reservation."

***

"Oh my God, Javi," I said as he pulled up to Garcia's. "This is the restaurant where we had our first date."

"Obviously, I know that," Javi said, offering me his elbow. He tossed the keys to his Mercedes Benz to the valet and grinned down at me. "But I didn't expect you to remember."

I wouldn't normally let Javi—or anyone, for that matter—get away with a comment like that, but I was so excited that I let it slide. If I had any doubts about Javi proposing, they flew out of my head. Why would he bring me to the restaurant where we'd had our first date if he wasn't planning to propose? How romantic!

When would it happen? Probably not before our entrées arrived. Maybe the ring would be in my entrée...I'd have to make sure I ate slowly and took careful bites. If we were going to be taking engagement photos anytime soon I didn't want chipped teeth ruining my blissful smile.