Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 4

"A father's tears and fears are unseen, his love is unexpressed, but his care and protection remains as a pillar of strength throughout our lives." Ama H. Vanniarachchy

----

Chapter Four

Nate helped Maggie into the carriage before climbing in himself. He was still fuming over the ignorant comments the Giselle woman had made regarding Charlotte's size. She was a tiny girl anyway! For a gown to be too tight it had to be ridiculously small.

"I want you to eat every meal from now on, Maggie," Nate instructed. "No fussing." He didn't want her thinking that she needed to stop eating, nor would he be having her fit for a corset when she was old enough. The sight of Charlotte collapsing because of one had scared him half to death.

He could have sworn his own heart had stopped as soon as she said, 'I can't breathe.' Watching her slight body crumple to the floor for a second time was nearly enough to put him into an early grave.

He'd noticed her pinching her sides and looking as though she was breathing uncomfortably throughout the evening, so he knew it was her corset that was restricting her.

He'd put Maggie on the ground and had grabbed the first object he could find. It was a golden candelabra that had hung on the wall in the foyer. He'd blown out the flames and then smashed the hilt against the floor so he could create a serrated edge. He'd grabbed the bodice of her gown and had hacked at the material with the candelabra while he ignored the frightened cries of her family around him.

It didn't even occur to Nate that he was seeing Charlotte in her undergarments. As soon as the white corset was in view, he could see just how tightly it was pulled. Her shoulders were not broad, they were normal, but her waist was half, if not a third of that width. Nate had hacked at the laces on her corset until each of them gave way. As soon as the corset was free from her, she became conscious once again and gasped for air.

There was no sound sweeter than that of her breathing, he'd decided.

Maggie yawned. "Sure, Daddy," she said drowsily. "You were real brave," she commented as she laid down on the seat in the carriage and settled her head on his thigh. "And she was watching you real nice-like."

"Thank you," he said in reply to her compliment, but he paused when he processed her second statement. "Wait, what?" Even though he'd spent two years there, some of the laidback American language escaped him.

"You know," Maggie said lethargically. "Smitten-like." She settled down on his leg and closed her eyes, the soft jolts of the carriage rocking her into slumber.

Smitten? He hadn't got that impression from her when he'd first arrived. Did it make him a terrible man to want to persuade her away from a fiancé he didn't even know? Nate prayed her fiancé was a horrid man so it wouldn't be hard to convince her that he was truly sorry and that she belonged with him. But if he was a good man then it would be a hard task.

Nate loosened the cravat around his neck and laid his head back. He was glad Bess had brought him home. He'd only loved one woman in his life, and he'd let her slip through his arms so easily. He wouldn't be making the same mistake twice. After all, she was looking at him smitten-like.

***

When the carriage pulled back into his estate at Montrose, it was an odd feeling, yet a good feeling. It was definitely time to come home. It would be a good home to Maggie as well. She'd no doubt stir and alarm a few people but she'd be a welcome breath of fresh air to the stiff traditions that England held so dear.

Though it startled him to think that one day she'd be called upon by suitors. He knew Maggie would be a very loyal companion ... and a rather entertaining one.