Super Fly - Chapter 5

She took him outside and opened her hand. "Sorry, Super Fly. I don't know if leaving you out here is any better but you're just not safe in that house."

For a second Jacob just looked at her face, her beautiful face. He thought for an instant she knew it was him. She'd called him Super Fly but then realized she was just talking about how she'd seen flies as having gained superpowers.

"Don't want go, huh?" Misty laughed and Jacob realized he didn't. He wished he could stay in her care, forever. "It's a little cold out here, and I don't have my coat on so if you'd be so kind..."

Oh right! He was only thinking of himself and then it hit him.

Images of the day:

How he stood by and did nothing when Terrance bullied her and her brother.

How he didn't even mention to the bus driver that they were coming so he'd wait for them.

How she fell in front of him and he didn't offer her a hand.

How he ignored her when she came to buy a candy gram.

How he didn't help when she was obviously in distress over her locker.

Oh, I'm so sorry, Misty. You're right. We should be taking care of each other. He didn't want her getting cold and so he flew away.

He landed on a bush nearby and watched her go back into her house. It was soooo cold outside he struggled to stay awake. He wished there was some way he could make it up to her. He wished for a second chance, but his body grew cold. Then he felt someone lift him up, just as his world slipped away.

"Will he remember?" Aphrodite's oracle asked. The goddess smiled at the woman, who lived next door to Misty's family. "He'll remember what's important." She looked at the tiny fly in her palm. "Come, little Adonis. Time for you to go home."

"Jacob! Jacob, come on you'll be late for school," he heard someone yelling from far away. Pulling him from his dream, his crazy dream.

Jacob sat up in bed with a start. He touched his face. It was his face. He ran to the mirror. "I'm back. How did I? No... I don't care." He quickly dressed and flew down the steps.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Mom!" he said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks, sweetie but it's tomorrow."

Jacob stopped dead in his tracks. "Tomorrow?"

"Yep, today is the 13th. Friday the 13th to be exact."

"Huh?"

"You okay? You look a little flushed." His mom fussed over him.

"I'm good, Mom." He was about to walk out the door and then stopped.

His Mom turned to look at him. He ran back to her and gave her a huge hug. "Thanks, Mom for always taking such good care of me. Sorry, if I ever took it for granted."

His Mom laughed as she hugged him back. "It's what Moms are for."

"Hey, you coming!" Terrance called from the front porch. "We are going to miss the bus!"

"Yeah," Jacob hiked up his book bag to his shoulder and ran out the door.

Terrance was talking about something but Jacob couldn't say what it was as he kept thinking about that crazy dream and that girl.

"Out of my way, Loser!" Terrance's words brought him back to the present just in time to see a girl stumble into a little boy who fell into a snowbank.

"What is your problem?" the girl yelled as she tried to help the boy out of the snow. Jacob saw the boy's eyes were filled with tears.

"You. You're my problem freak. You're in my way and I got a bus to catch."

Jacob was shocked to see what was occurring. She was here. This is exactly what happened in his dream...was it a dream?

He watched as Misty....that was her name... brushed the snow off her brother's clothes. She looked him in the eye and said, "You know scientists say the world is made up of proton, neutrons, and electrons but they always fail to mention MORONS." Michael chuckled. 

That's right! Her brother's name is Michael.

Misty took her brother's hand again and starting to walk, but Terrance wouldn't let her pass.

"Get out of my way, idiot or we'll miss the bus."

"What did you call me?" Terrance glared at her.

"I believe, she said you're a Moron and then an idiot."

Misty looked at Jacob with surprise. She was just about to say that and he smiled at her.

"What I don't understand is... if you are determined to be an idiot, why are you mad at her for pointing it out to you?" Jacob added.

Terrance looked lost. He had no idea what to say. "Terry, the bus is coming," Jacob pointed out and Terrance took off running.

"We'd better get going too," he said to Misty who seemed frozen to her spot.

"Uh...yeah. Thank you!"

He just beamed at her and they all took off running. Michael was seriously lagging behind and was slowing Misty down.

"Come on little guy," Michael bent down and let Michael climb on his back, and they took off running again. "Go!" he yelled to Misty, "tell him we're coming."

Misty nodded, ran, and banged on the doors just as they shut. The driver was about to pull away.

The driver opened the doors and she was so out of breath it took her a second to say anything. "Two more are coming," she said breathlessly.

The driver nodded and then Jacob put Michael down, and they all climbed aboard together. Misty and her brother took their usual seats. He settled in next to Terrance who was brooding and refusing to talk to him at the moment.

He looked down the aisle and saw Misty and her brother laughing and smiling together and couldn't help but smile too. Then his eyes landed on Simone who winked at him.

Was this a do-over? Did he gain some kind of psychic powers? This was without a doubt the weirdest day ever.