Ordinary

[ or·di·nar·y

ˈôrdnˌerē/

adjective  

1. with no special or distinctive features; normal. ]

Pleasant Valley High in Kansas is anything but pleasant. It's caught in a minuscule town- Clinton- and it's filled with a bunch of ratty teenagers behaving like... well, teenagers. Some kids, though, are just naturally good-natured.

See, Castiel Novak is a really popular kid. Not in a bad or good way. People just know him, and he doesn't really care. He has one of those really big families, you know, like the ones with 10 kids and a single parent. He says they're all adopted, but no one really pays attention to that. They're all baffled how effortlessly he does everything, like make perfect grades and throw the kickball in dodgeball. Even his siblings shrug their shoulders when asked how he's so oddly efficient.

"He's such a perfect little angel, isn't he?" Gabriel would say, squinting and grinning a fake smile with a twinge of sarcasm laced within his words.

Castiel doesn't have more than 2 real friends. Sam and Dean Winchester. They're two very different brothers, but they have a good relationship with minimal fighting. Dean is a year older than Sam, so he's in the same grade as Castiel. They started "hanging out" when Dean asked to copy some forgotten homework from the one smart kid in the class, and Castiel happily obliged. He'll admit, he has a bit of a crush on the older Winchester... enough to let him copy absolutely everything given out ever. Eventually he had to help Sam after school, too, and became the Winchesters' private tutor.

Today is August 28th, 2014. The announcements blare through Mrs. Perkins's broken speakers.

"Drama tryouts are today at 3:40. Choir will meet at 3:35."

The names of clubs and their meeting times run through Castiel's head. Everyone joins a club, don't they? Isn't it kind of loser-ish not to? Then again, he isn't exactly "coolkid" material. Maybe he could try out for drama. No, he can't act to save his life. And he definitely can't sing.

"Hey, you," a voice whispers behind him as a pencil eraser pokes his back lightly. He whips his head around and stares at the girl behind him with those blank wide eyes, earning a sigh from the mysterious brunette. "Your boy over there wrote this." She shoves the crumpled paper into Castiel's hands hurriedly.

"Um, thank you...?"

He turns back around to read the note before she can say any more.

you gonna join any clubs??

He scribbles a reply with a slight smile.

I don't know. You? Sam?

Castiel turns back around to the girl. "Um, sorry, can you-"

"What, am I your messenger pigeon now?" she tears the note from his hands. "Meg, by the way." she tosses it to Dean, who waves a little at Cas. His heart skips a beat. Man, what a heart-melting smile he has... Meg coughs to grab his attention back.

"Oh, thank you, Meg."

She straightens up. "Well, you're welcome."

He swivels around again. The announcements cut off.

"So, you'll be getting back your test scores today," Mrs. Perkins says in that annoyingly nasily tone. It's been evident since the first day of school she doesn't want to be there any more than the students. Not the best quality in a teacher. "The... second highest grade was Mr. Novak. And the highest grade was... Ms. Masters." she says it like she thinks it's a mistake. She reads over the name again. Masters. Masters... Where has he heard that name...?