Roosters - Part 23

"Surprise!" The voices, in unison, were deafening as Rob and I entered Roosters at noon. 

I stopped in the doorway and took in the sight. It hadn't been our room that Lark and Tricia were decorating. Instead, the balloons, streamers, and presents littered a table at Roosters. People from my swim team, some of my classes, and most of our residential floor were standing around drinking and eating, laughing, and talking.

      I turned to look at Rob. "Did you do this?" I asked.

      He shook his head. "Tricia and Lark," he clarified. His dark eyes were bright and clear. I just wanted to sink in and forget the rest of the world even existed.

      The sound of squeals turned my head into the thick of the crowd. Tricia and Lark rushed me, scooping me up in a big hug shouting "Happy Birthday" over and over while shaking me around. I laughed, watching Rob's back as he sidled up to the bar to get us some drinks.

      "Oh my God. How were the puppies?" Lark asked. She shared my love of animals and, almost against my better judgment, I'd introduced her to Aaron and the guinea pigs a few weeks ago.

      "Best birthday gift ever. Who thinks to call a breeder and ask to come play with their puppies – no hope of a purchase, just play with them," I said, still in awe that he'd taken me to a little farm on the outskirts of Ottawa that bred Labrador retrievers in all their gorgeous shades.

I'd almost stopped at a pay phone on the way back to campus to see whether my parents missed me enough to let me buy a puppy that I'd keep at their house. I was pretty sure they'd say no, but the temptation was almost more than I could handle.

      Lark grinned. "He came up with the idea. Me, the yellow pages and a roll of quarters found a breeder who didn't mind having you come just to play. Was it amazing? I'm so jealous right now."

      "It was amazing." I gave her a hug and squeezed her a little tighter. 

Whenever I seemed to think there was no way that I was going to be able to handle Lark for a whole year, she did something really thoughtful, and it crushed all my anger. When she wanted to be, she was an expert anger crusher. I wondered if that's how she and her boyfriend had survived their long distance. I guess we'd know in a few days.

      "We got you a couple presents. We have no money, so it's nothing amazing like playing with puppies," Lark said, taking my arm and steering me towards the table.

      "How'd you get the swim team here and my friends from class?" I asked.

      "You and Tricia have a lot of classes together, so she just handed out invites on the sly. Then, we used your team contact list posted by the phone in your room to call everyone on the swim team list. Even your coach is coming later to buy you a drink, I think."

      "Later? But, I have practice later," I said, wondering if she meant late tonight. I wasn't sure how long I'd last if we were starting at noon. Tricia loved her shots a little too much sometimes.

      "He canceled it when it seemed like everyone was coming here," Lark said. "Everything's just shitting glitter today."

      Another classic Lark expression. I laughed and surveyed the table in the middle of the room, surrounded by all the people I was coming to love. I felt an enormous swell of gratitude. I looked over and saw Jill talking to Tom.

      "You have to go to your meeting soon," I said, thinking out loud.

      "I know – don't worry – I'm not drinking yet. I can't wait till this bullshit is done, though. Of all the days for them to pick, it would have to be the day you're finally legal!" Lark pulled me into her side as we looked at the table.