Chapter 2

I sucked in my breath and took one step forward, breaking past the few in front of me, but stopped once I saw his face. He stared at me, threatening me not to come forward just to give him a reason to snap my neck.

His entourage came towards me and grabbed me by my arms to drag my body forward. I stumbled to stand and walk with their large steps but failed and they threw me at the feet of the Enforcer. I got onto my hands and knees and looked up to see his face in front of me. He squatted down and grabbed my chin in his hand.

My lip wobbled, I could feel it although I tried to look strong like the wolves I grew up with.

"A human girl," He mused. His light cerulean eyes bore into mine, I didn't dare glance anywhere else. "I've never met one before."

I stayed quiet. He grabbed me high on my right arm and forced me to stand along with him. He pushed me back towards Caddy and I rushed to his side. Caddy looked livid, wanting nothing more than the smash the painting over the Enforcer's head.

"What is she to you?" He asked Caddy.

"Her parents were killed, we allowed her to be a companion for young Cadence," Dorian explained. The Enforcer turned his head slightly.

"I asked your nephew, Dorian," He stated. He turned back to Caddy and took a step closer, the painting now out of the way. "What is she to you?"

Caddy lowered his eyes to look at me again.

"Is she your mate? I've never heard a human mating with a strong wolf like yourself." The Enforcer questioned further.

"No," Caddy murmured.

"A servant, perhaps?"

"No."

"Does she provide a service here for you?"

"She does her share like we all do," Caddy said stronger, fighting for me.

"But she provides no purpose, being human. Why have you not turned her?"

"Sir, only a mate could do that." Caddy said, confused.

"So, she is of no further use to this pack," He said, staring at me although my gaze remained at my feet. He was going to kill me, there was no other way out of it. I knew humans were nothing to wolves if they had no mate.

"Girl," He addressed me. I stiffened at his voice which urged him to step closer to me, only a foot away at this point. "Do you not speak?"

I opened my mouth but I didn't know the words to say.

"Tell me why you should stay here, little girl."

"I've lived here since I was four," I whispered, not able to make my voice louder.

"And because you've lived here, that means you should continue to live here?"

I looked up at Caddy, wanting him to help me but knowing he couldn't. The punishment for disrespecting a wolf like this was death, no matter your ranking in your own pack.

"Don't look at him, little girl, look at me and tell me why I should allow you to keep living here." His voice was rough, sending shivers down my spine, I looked back at him, noticing for the first time how young he was for someone so entitled. I suppose he had the highest title, he could act as he pleased.

"I don't know," I answered honestly. My mind was stricken with fear, there was nothing else to save me but honesty.

"You don't know?" He scrutinized, eyebrows coming together, leaning down to study my face closer. I tried to remain as calm as I could.