July 1

"Are you serious?" I practically shriek over the phone and my voice drops to a hopeless whisper, "Please, Alexa..."

"Sorry Atlas, you're a lovely person, really, but I just don't think we're right together," her voice is so distant in the phone and even, so unlike my own. Like I haven't heard that before. What's next? 'It's not you it's me'?

I'm standing on the pier while crowds of people push past me to board the ship. The wind slaps at me and I barely remember to grab onto my suitcase so it doesn't roll away. Salty water touches my tongue but I can't tell if it's the ocean or my own tears.

"And you couldn't have told me before I drove an hour to the pier?" I ask angrily, covering my phone's microphone to blow my nose.

"I'm sorry Atlas, you can keep the ticket," she says with less emotion than the time we were discussing college essays back in 12th grade. I hear a click followed by the monotonous ring of a broken line. Without anyone to talk to, I feel even more stupid standing on the bustling boardwalk: a 18 year old boy, crying, with no idea what to do because who goes on a cruise by themselves? 'You can keep the ticket'. Thanks so much Alexa, you're too kind.

When the 10 minute warning horn sounds, I realize I've been standing here for a solid 20 minutes. Snatching the handle of my suitcase, I dig out my ticket and march up to one of the attendants. 

Praying that I don't look as broken as I feel, I ask politely, "Is there any way I can refund this?"

"Sorry sir, we have a 24 hour cancellation policy," he shake his head sternly, "The only thing you can do is find someone else who would like the ticket. That is, if you can find them in ten minutes."

I grip the railing next to me to keep from crumpling to the ground and manage to get out weakly, hating how desperate and small my voice sounds, "Really? There's nothing  else I can do?"

This ticket was the cumulative total of six months of paychecks and this trip was something Alexa and I had been planning for even longer.

"Well... if you have a friend or family member you would like to donate the ticket to, they can have a free upgrade on their room, but otherwise, I'm sorry."

I'm barely listening so I just mutter a thanks and trudge to the nearest bench, dropping my head into my hands.

"Hey there!" A thickly accented voice sounds suspiciously close to me but I don't bother to look up, sure that it's just another family passing by, happy and perfect.

"Hello?" A hand shakes my shoulder gently and I look up to find a boy staring at me, probably around 16, his wavy brown hair flowing madly with the gusts of wind.

"Yeah?" 

"Couldn't help but overhear that little conversation you had with the nice gentleman over there," he begins. 'Stalker much?' I almost ask, but a sudden wave of fatigue leaves me speechless. Also, I haven't figured out what his accent is but it's strangely addicting to hear. "I happen to be looking for someone to room with, and I was thinking... an upgrade would be pretty nice."

It takes me a full minute to comprehend what this stranger is suggesting. My first thought is 'no, there is no way in hell I'm rooming with some guy I just met'. But a look into his innocently blue eyes and the phone I'm clutching in my hand reminding me of Alexa causes me to think again. I might as well use the ticket for something, right?

He must see me contemplating because he hastily adds, "I mean, no one can go on a cruise alone, right?"

"Exactly," I agree instantly, "Ok sure, why not."

His eyes light up just as the 5 minute warning horn sounds and practically skips towards the attendant. What in the world did I just agree to?

He looks surprised to see me again, but I just shrug, "I, uh, want to upgrade... his room."

"You know this young man?" he asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Oh yea," the boy jumps in, "We're practically best mates."

Australian! His accent is Australian. For some reason, this makes me feel much better because that means I won't have to see him after this cruise.

I awkwardly put my arm around his shoulder to show our "best mate-ness" and the attendant just looks at us before shaking his head and pulling out his phone.

"Alright so you have two options for the upgrade," he says, tapping around, "Either change your queen bed to two twins or add small living room area."

"The twins," I say immediately just as the boy almost shouts, "Living room!"

I look at him blankly and he actually blushes, "I really want a living room, besides I already have a queen..."

"Right..." I say, and shrug off the last bit of common sense I had and echo, "Living room!" 

"Okay then," the man, "It comes with a TV, mini fridge, sofa and desk."

The boy beams, giving me a 'isn't this great' look. 

By the time we've sprinted into the ship with our new tickets, just before they seal the door, a flood of questions races through my brain.

"How old are you?" I turn towards him, stopping dead in my tracks.

"Eighteen," he blinks. Oh. That's not too bad.

"Me too," I nod slowly. 

We finally find our cabin which, as promised, consists of a very small 'living area' and a queen sized bed that I could've sworn is not much bigger than the twin I have at home. We drag our suitcases into the room and when the door closes, blocking out all the hyper screams and fluid conversations, everything suddenly becomes about 100 times more awkward.

"Well anyways, I'm Mason," he extends his hand and I take it. I have no idea how I thought he was just a high schooler; he's taller than me with much more pronounced cheekbones and jaws that give him a mature look. I guess it was his messy hair.

"Atlas."

And that's how I ended up on a 5 day cruise with no girlfriend, no plan and some random guy I literally met on the street. 

~~~

Hope you liked it! This is how the format will be (switching between segments of present day and flashbacks).

Please vote, comment and share, it would make my day!!

XOXO