leaving the skies you love

Charles Xavier was pleasantly surprised when he awoke that morning. The children were still sleeping, it being such an early hour, but the faculty had already started their day. In his mind, the tired shuffling of thoughts which worksheet for the seventh graders or how prepared are they for this pop quiz should it be counted for participation or content knowledge gave him a simple kind of contentment. What really surprised him though, was the quiet hum of thoughts from the man next to him.

Erik was sleeping peacefully, a special kind of gift and one he did not receive often. Charles was tempted to allow him more sleep, but alas, Erik had a physics exam to give his eleventh graders.

"Erik, darling, wake up," He spoke softly, gently rubbing his hands through his husband's hair.

Erik was quite easy to wake, especially since Charles had a permanent fixture in his mind. Between the soft jostling and the playful pokes in his conscious, Erik woke with only a flutter of his eyes.

"Good morning, dear." Charles grinned.

He allowed one quick kiss on Erik's hairline before pulling his chair closer to the bed. His fingers almost brushed against the handle, but the chair floated away.

"Erik, please," he grinned, feeling arms wrap around his stomach.

Erik wasn't much of a morning person or a cuddler. He kissed the back of Charles' neck lazily.

"A something wrong? Or are you just thinking with your dick?"

He more so felt Erik snort against his back than heard it, but none the less, he was released and his chair was pushed well within his grasp. Erik flopped ont the pillows behind him with a groan.

"What time is it?"

Charles shifted himself into his hair before answering.

"About five o'clock, give or take a few minutes."

Erik groaned into his hands. He pushed himself from the bed and stumbled into the en suite bathroom. Charles hummed as the sound of water overtook the newfound silence. He pushed his chair towards the closet and pulled out his normal pair of slacks and a light grey sweater.

As he moved across he room, he opens the curtains to see students having yoga club in the yard. The sun was bright as it rose further into the sky. The last of the morning dew clung desperately to the leaves as the end of summer heat moved in. It would be a hot day, but a good day nonetheless.

Charles hummed. Then, he joined his husband in the shower.

||||||||||

Zoya sat on the roof, gazing at the changing colors of the sky. The chill of the air ruffled her hair as she took one last glance at the the country sky. She wouldn't see it for a very long time. The last of the stars dimmed in morning sun. She sighed.

"Zo, come on. it's time to go."

Zoya turned down to look at Elizabeth. She stared up at her from the ground through her orange strands of hair. With her stood Elizabeth's family and Zoya's mother. Her bags were down beside her mom's feet.

Her hands shook as she lowered herself down the raised ladder. She moved slowly, to prolong the inevitable. Zoya turned to her family once her feet touched the grass. Her mom gazed at her, her eyes a milky white and head tilted as she murmured under her breath. Her caretaker stood on the other side of the car just behind the family smoking a cigarette.

Her mother smiled blankly and patted Zoya's shoulder. Her eyes never focused on Zoya for long and this moment was no exception. 

"She'll be okay. She'll be okay. She's strong. She's strong," she muttered, tilted her head side to side, listening to the different voices inside her head.