II. Brothers, Sisters

♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠♥♦♣♠

II. Brothers, Sisters

The young lord’s door slowly creaked open as Arianna’s head popped out from the other side.

“Garry?” she asked quietly, while Garrett groaned in response.

“What do you want, Ari? It’s the middle of the night,” he moaned.

Small Arianna responded by jumping onto his bed and jumping up and down. “Brother, wake up! I want to go on a walk, like we used to!”

Garrett sighed, slowly getting up and walking over to his wardrobe. The night clothes he had on were thin, and baggy, which he switched for a thick, but warm, brown coat that perfectly mirrored the warming browns in his eyes. He quickly but silently, with catlike reflexes and agility, slid on a pair of worn boots and grabbed Arianna’s hand. He quickly took his little sister outside into the courtyard underneath his window. The only other room that overlooked the small courtyard was Evelyn’s, which shone in the light.

Garrett looked up at her window, nervous the Lady might have been awake, but nothing moved or sounded, so he relaxed tenfold. Taking a look around, he didn’t seem to notice anything, not even the slight rustling in a dark bush, clinging to the wall of the home.

Surrounding him and Arianna were many different plants and trees, all, if it were the spring and summer, colorful and radiant. During the autumnal days that were edging toward winter, thought, they were barren. Yet, if stared at for awhile, they glistened with layers of ice, making the courtyard look like a gorgeous ice palace, equipped with a rink and sculptural displays.

Arianna tugged on his sleeve, as they walked slowly through the underbrush, moving toward an almost obscured, dirt path. Once they reached it, they both relaxed even more, just walking through the crisp, night air and enjoying the quiet time.

Once they reached the lake next to the estate, Garrett sat down on the grass and motioned for Arianna to do the same. They sat in silence, gazing over the murky, mysterious lake that shimmered like a mirror, reflecting the moon’s light across the scene, illuminating not only the trees around them, but their faces.

Arianna took something out of her pocket, fingering the small piece of paper in her hands. She looked up at her brother.

“Garry, what do the cards do, exactly?”

He shook his head not answering. “You can’t know until you turn 18, Ari.”

She sighed, but her hazel eyes grew round and pleading. “Please, Garry?” she asked.

He huffed a breath, but sighed. “They have to do with magic.”

She gasped. “Magic is real?”

Garrett nodded. “I don’t know exactly how it works, but when Father snaps his fingers, something always happens.” He took the card from her and played with it, flipping it over, again and again. He stared at the snakes and beasts on one side, then at the three spades on the other. What would this one do?

He handed it back to her and shrugged.

Arianna’s eyes were wide as she stared at the card in wonder. She looked up at her brother again. “Do I make a wish?” Garrett did not answer.

She had a small frown on her face but came to a conclusion. “I’m going to make a wish.” Before Garrett could rip the card out of her hands, in case the result would be problematic, she snapped her fingers and said, calmly, “I want my brother Garrett Conway to be happy. Truly happy.”