VII. Attempt

♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ ♥ ♦ ♣

VII. Attempt

    “Travel to the estate a three day trip to the south and take the doctor from life. He only treats the rich for an unbelievable price, cheats people of their money, and thinks of the poor as animals,” Evelyn read off the piece of paper. A card fell from the note, which Evelyn caught in her hands. Ten of Spades. She looked nervously at Micah. “That means to kill him, correct?”

    Micah nodded quickly, before grabbing a chunk of his own hair and tugging, causing for himself to wince and pain and moan to himself. “That old man is testing me,” he said, before a huge shudder rippled through his body. “He’s testing me to see if I’m a murderer.”

    Evelyn looked at his dark brown hair sympathetically, but didn’t say anything. She helped him up and they started to walk off toward the south.

♠ ♥ ♦ ♣

    Evelyn gazed up at the tall, wooden building. It was a simple building, made from congruent wooden pieces, with a tile roof. A sign at the door said, humbly, “Dr. Steven Green.” From the outside, he didn’t seem greedy at all. But, they had to complete the mission, no matter who it was.

    Micah took deep breaths, his eyes closed, his finger clenched around the doorframe. Then he gradually opened his eyes. “So are we to knock or do it secretively?”

    Evelyn shrugged. “It’s more polite to knock...”

    Micah’s fist slammed against the door, three quick, short, times.

    A man in his elderly years, balding, with grey hair came to the door. He had on a white jacket and when he looked them over, his eyes widened in fear.

    He fell to his knees. “Oh Game of Cards, oh Rulers, oh God! Forgive me for my sins and don’t let the merciless liar killer destroy me, vanquish me, take me from this Earth! Oh please!” Tears wracked from his body, his entire being shivering and shuddering, convulsing.

    Micah gave Evelyn a panicked look. “We can’t kill a man on his knees, begging for his life, can we?”

    She shook her head, kneeling down beside the man. When the tears had slowed enough so he could see her, he jumped back and began to scream. “Oh! It’s the fallen angel! Her perfect face is to enchant me until the devil, that!” he yelled, pointing to Micah, “Will plunge his sword through my heart and I will l lay here, dead, the blood dripping from my body.”

    Evelyn looked at Micah, horrified. “This is what they think of you?”

    Micah closed his eyes, taking deep breaths again.

    “Is this God’s judgement?” the man yelled. “Some of us in the New World still believe in you! Help us!”

    Micah’s eyes turned black as a shudder rippled through his body.

    He took the Ten of Spades from Evelyn and snapped his fingers ten times, looking unconscious yet moving. The card changed into black light, while ten rats appeared out of thin air, moving toward the doctor and nibbling against his flesh, allowing the old man to scream and whither until there was nothing left except ash and a pile of bones.

    Evelyn threw up on the stairs and wiped her eyes.

    Micah’s eyes turned green and widened as he looked at the man. “Did I do this?” he asked Evelyn. She nodded, as she began to shiver. “You’re doomed.”