My Stable Boy

Chapter One

" Yeah, Mom, it's fine. I know it's always been a dream of yours. I'll be fine. I have Dad. " I consoled my Mom for the third time this evening.

" Oh, honey. I know. I know how much you love the farm. "

Ranch, we don't grow crap.

" I'll send up all your stuff, it should be there in about a week, baby. " She continued. I rubbed my sore neck, and watched out the window as my brother's throw the football back and forth.

Dean was the older of the two and taller by a couple inches. Often I'd remark he stole my inches and that I wanted them back. He was leaving this weekend back to college; he went to University of Oregon on a football scholarship.

Conner was the same height as our Dad. Unlike Dad and Dean, who both had dark brown hair, we shared a honey blonde. Older than me just by three years, Conner was heading back to BYU to continue his dreams of being a medic.

This weekend I was supposed to go back to my Moms apartment in Portland; only to hear that she finally had enough money saved up to do what she's always wanted, go on a year long trip around the world. I couldn't tell her no. I was willing to stay here; not like I had anything to go back to in Portland.

Three weeks before I left I walked in on something I could never forget. My now ex boyfriend and ex best friend, naked on her bed. In her room. The one that I spent countless sleep overs and hours rearranging. My heart broke. I could of cared less about Jimmy's betrayal, but Brittany's had hurt me.

So now thanks to my mom I was free to start over. Be known as Emma Bretton, the daughter of Taylor Bretton,  the most successful cattle rancher in this town. Not, oh Emma Bretton, the girl who walked in on her boyfriend and her best friend.

" That would be great Mom. I'd like that a lot. I'm going to need all my clothes. Didn't bring anything nicer than my Sunday dresses. " She laughed over the phone. " Oh baby I'll miss you. I gotta go finish packing up our stuff so I can get this place rented out. "

" Alright, Mom Love you. "

" Love you too baby. "

She hung up and I ended the call. I threw my phone onto my bed.

" That the she-demon herself. " I turned over and smiled at my Dad. His tone was joking but that is what we all called her. Don't get me wrong, we love her, she's just a lot ti handle.

" Yeah, she's mailing my stuff up. Should be here within the week. "

" Alright..." He looked out at the boys from over my shoulder. " Those two.. " he said with the pride only a father can have. " Well I have a boy coming over tomorrow so I can show him the ropes. We'll see how long he lasts. But afterwards we can head into town and get ya some school stuff and get ya registered. "

" Sounds great Dad. " I smiled at him.

" Alright, I'm gunna go show those boys how it's done. " He pulled my hair back and kissed my forehead before heading out.

Sighing, I leaned my forehead against the window. The white lace curtains stuck to my hair as I pulled away to flop on my bed.

My room hasn't changed in years. The walls still painted a pale yellow, my favorite color, and all my furniture was white. The chipped desk was underneath one window and my rocking chair by the other. My dresser sat next to my closet door, and a mirror was hung over it. A few candy wrappers, and pens littered the top. Soon they would hold the few make up products I own, and my perfume.

Opening the closet, I sighed. I was going to need to clean this out so I'd have a place for my shirts. My pants and PJs would go in the dresser, so that wouldn't be a problem. I already had most of them with me, and still had plenty of room.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen, grabbing an apple before grabbing a trash bag and heading back up. While eating my crunchy apple, I cleaned out all the trash. Besides saving a few childhood crayon pictures on the walls I threw away all paper products. Clothes beyond repair and to small were gonners too.

About an hour later I decided to go to bed. I laid there, listening to the crickets and the snoring of Dean from the room over. I could hear two voices coming from the kitchen, so I snuck out of bed and tip toed down the stairs. I stopped at the landing and sat down. As kids we would do this to watch whatever Dad had on TV. Looking back now I'm pretty sure he knew we were there. Because he always changed it to cartoons before heading out to smoke.

But now I listened in as Dad's and Conner's voices traveled to me.

" She'll be fine Dad. I think it will be good for her. Let her make a friend. " Conner said, the coffee timer beeping.

" I know she will, strong as a bull our girl is. She's just not so little anymore. I don't want her getting hurt. "

" Dad, believe me when I say she's already been threw enough crap at Moms. If he is as polite as you say then let them be friends. I'm sure Em isn't looking for more than that. "

They were talking about me. I rolled my eyes before walking back up the stairs; making sure I stepped on the squeaky step, hard. They stopped talking, and I went back to my room.

I can't believe them. I sat with my arms crossed on my bed. Just because I have had some bad luck with friends of late and stopped talking to people outside of my family doesn't mean I'm unable to make friends. I'm just not ready. Plus when I am ready, it will be a friend I choose. Not them.

After realizing I looked like a sulking kid I uncrossed my arms and legs and laid down.

******

Morning came way to soon, as the sunlight began to fill my room. Yawning, I stretched out. Wrapping my blankets closer and digging my head under my pillow before...

" Get your ass up, we got work to do, " Dad yelled banging on my and then my brothers' doors.

Groaning I pulled myself out of bed and quickly pulled on a pair of working jeans, thick socks, and a sweat shirt. I pulled my hair back and dawned a baseball cap before heading to the kitchen.

I gobbled down my breakfast, of oatmeal as the boys came down the stairs to do the same. Within fifteen minutes we had our work boots on, and where half to were the cattle are.

We worked our asses off until Dad called us over. Someone stood with him at about the same height.

As we neared them I could see exactly how hot the guy was..