Chapter Three

Chapter Three

After four hours of gruelling shopping and school registration, I headed up stairs exhausted. I was never one for shopping but with the towns small selection of Wal Mart, Dad decided to take me into the city to get new clothes and supplies. Although it was only an hour away it seemed like too much work for me personally.

Just I was about tohead up stairs I saw a sight that made me blush and melt at the same time.

Patrick was shirtless with my two brothers. Dean had the football in hand as they all sat around the dingy kitchen table.

The conversation had stopped when I walked in the room so I slung all of my bags, although I probably should have taken smaller loads, and stopped up the steps hoping I didn't sound like too much of a little kid.

When laughing followed I knew I had failed but hearing Patrick's honey like laugh made it worth it.

Later that night I was helping Dad with dinner, it amazes me he can live this long without someone cooking for him.

" Dad, " I whined, " Go away let me cook your killing it. " I shooed him away from my spaghetti sauce that was currently boiling over.

" Alright fine, " he stopped out of the kitchen receiving a cigarette from his jacket pocket before heading out the door. I rolled my eyes at his temper tantrum while hurrying to fix the damage left behind.

Tonight would be the last night with Dean and Conner; they both will head out tomorrow morning. Then Patrick would officially moving in, his one canvas bag and the few boxes in the back of his beat up blue Chevy would have a home.

Soon as I mixed the meat sauce and noodles together I hollered for the boys, " Come and get it!!" The elephants herd came rushing down the stairs Dean and Conner shoving each other out of their way. Patrick was two steps behind them watching with careful eyes and a slight smile at their antics. Dad was the first one at the bowl as he made his way in through the front door.

The boys both groaned but got their bowls filled to the brim before heading to the table. Patrick waited and waved a hand in front of him waiting for me to get my food first.

" I'm good thanks, I've learned a few things, " moving aside to show him my bowl behind me on the counter.

He smiled at me his face turning a slight pink as he filled his one bowl before heading to the only empty chair at the table.

" You can sit their boy, " Dad said, " Em doesn't like to eat with us. "

" Not true, " I mumbled , " Conner and Dean eat like pigs." They all busted up laughing.

When I was finished I headed to my room to gather some pajamas for a shower. Stepping into the water felt fantastic, I let the water wash away the dirt and sweat of the farm work. Rubbing my strawberry body wash into my skin I felt more like myself. When my hair was shampooed and conditioned I turned off the water and firmly wrapped the towel close around me.

When I was dressed in flannel pants and a t shirt I left the bathroom only to run into someone's hard chest. Before I could bounce off of them two hands wrapped around my arms.

" You alright, " his accent woke me up from the shock.

" Yes-s, " I stuttered, " Just tired been a long day. "

" I see. Well have a good night. " Patrick released my arms and I left in a hurry mumbling out my own Good night.

I herd his laugh echo after me as I shut my door behind me.

***

Morning came and went. My brothers were gone and I was now standing under the burning sun. The heat pounded against my back threw my t shirt as I mended the fence. I turned the wire twice more before a nice stinging sensation filled my knuckles before I herd the sound of it snapping.

" F***ing hell, " I swore openly pulling a bandana from my back pocket quickly tying it around my hand to stop the bleeding before starting over on the fence ignoring the tears and stinging from hand.

Soon as I finished my hand was throbbing and bleeding threw its temporary wrap. I threw my tools over the fence so the cows wouldn't get to them before applying pressure with the other hand as I started back up towards the house.

I hurried my way hoping I would find my dad somewhere along the line. When I saw someone ahead I yelled out not caring if it was Dad or Patrick ahead. The person quickly finished off their wire before running towards me.

" What's wrong hun, " Patrick asked before taking my hand and putting a slight more pressure before lifting my arm above my head. " Are you feeling alright, light headed?"

" Yeah, I'm okay hand hurts like a bitch though. "

He laughed and started walking forward. I followed bumping into him every few steps.