Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Tall, farmer's tan, dark hair that poked out from under his John Deer hat. He smiled.

I was stunned for a moment. He wasn't what I pictured when I thought of a stable hand. More of a male model for cowboys. The kind that made the girls fan over them at school. Not the kind ready to get down and dirty with me and Dad.

" Alright, this is Patrick. Patrick is these are my kids; Dean, Conner, and... Emma. " Dad said, pausing before saying my name.

I rolled my eyes and gave a light wave before heading out to my next job: mucking the horse stables. There was no way he'd find me attractive.

Honey blond hair, blue eyes, naturally tanned skin, and barely passing five three when the rest of my family was at least six foot. I wasn't particularly thin or over weight. Not exactly curvy or stick like. I was average. He wasn't.

Dad had already let the horses out to graze so I began with the stall farthest from the door and began to clean it. Throwing all the old hay and shit into the wheelbarrow. I had just started mucking the fourth stall when I herd my Dad and a lower voice I had never herd before.

" These are were we keep the horses at night. Emma can probably show you this place better than I can. So Emma when you guys are done we will be on the north side fence rotation. "

Shit. You've got to be kidding me, leave with the hot guy Dad, how freakin nice of you.

Patrick stood awkwardly by the entryway, watching me work on the stall.

" There's another pitchfork, over there if you wanna help. Faster this gets done..."

" The faster we get to wonder around. " His voice shocked me, it was low; with his southern drawl making me shake.

" Yeah.." I said hoping he didn't see the light shade of pink my face turned.

We worked in silence, doing what would normally take me about another hour in twenty minutes. Afterwards I went to push the wheelbarrow out when he took it.

" I've got it. Why don't you show me where I'm heading. "

" Alright. "

I lead him out to the manure pile, just a ways out from behind the barn. He dumped it with ease. Something that always made me hurt myself, it stunned me to see how easy it was for him.

" Come on, lets head back and I'll show you the horses. "

He gave me a smile, it was crooked and bright; an honest smile. One I hadn't seen in a while.

" I'd like that. "

We wondered out to the fence, I stepped on the bottom step of the fence and leaned over the top.

" That grey one there is Ice, the mare next to him is Vanilla."

" Like Vanilla Ice? " he laughed. The sound stunned me for a minute, before I could move on.

" Yeah, Dean's idea, twins... the Pinto over there is Gracie, she's my Dad's horse. The black one there is Blackie, Conner isn't very good with names. That speckled Arabian, one there is mine, her names Deedee. "

She was a strong horse. Able do to do anything I asked really. We spent long hours together when I wasn't working. She knew more about me then any other person could or would.

" You see that black one. " He said pointing out a horse that I had missed. He was gigantic, pure black and all muscle. " That's my boy Duke. He's all looks though, couldn't hurt a fly." He looked like he could kill a fly city... wait do flys have cities? " Your Dads letting me keep him here as part of my payment. "

I nodded. " Why keep him here though, not at home. "

He frowned, " This is home now, didn't you know. I'm movin in soon as your brother's leave. I'm a ranch hand now. "

I tried to play off my shock by saying something smart but soon as I spoke I regretted it.

" No, but I do think your my stable hand now. "

" Your stable hand. " He said raising his eye brow.

" Yup, so you better get used to it. " I turned around and headed for the north fence. Mostly so he wouldn't see my bright red face.

He laughed, and I swear I herd him say.

" I could get use to that. " Before he followed after me.