Chapter 3: Serendipitous Surprise

Serendipitous-
Occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way

You're still sat quite shocked when your phone goes off. You glance at the number: your landlord. I didn't even think he cared enough to have my number. You look at Mycroft,
"Excuse me but do you mind if I take this?  They'd only call if it was an emergency." He nods his head in confirmation,
"Not at all, go ahead." You walk to the side of the room and answer.
"Hello, Mr Quaker. Is this incredibly important because I'm currently rather busy."
"There's been a fire at the flat." You take a deep breath.
"Is the fire brigade aware?" You inquire.
"You really think you're smart don't you [Y/L/N]?" Oh boy.
"Only compared to below average people like you."
"Since you're so concerned I'll tell you that I got out unharmed. The fire brigade are here. And I had lots of time to grab all my things."
"And any of my things?" He sighs dramatically,
"Sorry, there just wasn't enough time." Really?! What a stupid little...
"So. Just to recap. You managed to keep everything in your possession but absolutely nothing of mine? I live across the hall and you have a key!" You raise your voice a little.
"I don't know why you're reacting like this! You never liked the flat anyway and now you're getting that new job you can pay for a better one. Then you can spend your time far away from me."
"Well, you got that right. Congratulations, and have a nice life." You hang up on him and turn back to face Mycroft.
"Is everything alright?" He asks. You sigh.
"Fine really. My landlord has just burnt down my entire flat all my things have been destroyed, but apart from that everything's absolutely fine." Wow. Nothing is fine. It's like the opposite of fine. Unfine? He takes out his phone, "Address?" he asks.
"39A Lyons Street," you lie. "Why?" I know what he's doing and I don't need his help. He narrows his eyes at you.
"If this arrangement is going to work Miss [Y/L/N] you need to be honest with me." He types away at his phone. You act surprised,
"I am, Mr Holmes." He looks at you again.
"I have sent someone to attempt at salvaging any of your belongings, however I think we both know this action is pointless. I happen to know a suitable establishment for you to stay at, quite a pleasant area in central London, I know the landlady and she'll let you stay without expense until you can pay the rent. I have a call I need to take in private I'll be back in a moment." You go to sit down as he walks past, "Just another thing Miss [Y/L/N]."
"Yes sir?" He steps closer.
"Know when you are beaten and accept my hospitality while it lasts." With that he sweeps out of the room. Drama queen. From where you're sat you can hear some of his conversation outside.
"Good evening Doctor Watson," he says. So I'll be living with his brother and his best friend. Should be entertaining. "My car will be dropping off a young lady who will be renting 221c.... inform Mrs Hudson would you?.... regrettably not.... a Miss [Y/L/N].... yes her.... tell my brother to try at all costs to be remotely civil towards her.... thank you Doctor Watson." He walks back into the room. You decide to change the subject.
"So, what does the position as your bodyguard entail?" You ask him as he sits down.
"Accompany me to certain events and meetings, organise security matters and if I ask for it you may give your opinions on particular projects."
"I just follow you around all day, and make sure you don't die."
"Basically speaking, yes." You provide a  nod,
"Right." We both sip our tea. You clear your throat, "Thank you. For sorting all that out for me."
"I believe you now owe me a favour, Miss Jones." I knew there'd be a catch somewhere.
"Well then?"
"The flat that you're going to live in is the floor below my brothers." Like I didn't know that.
"I assume you want me to keep an eye on him?"
"Regular updates will suffice." You nod again.
"Very well then sir." He nods too. You look at the clock, 7:28pm. Out the window you watch the rain get worse, soon you see a flash of lightening and hear the thunder. Thunder. Yes, I love thunderstorms. Mycroft stands up rather quickly and gets his phone out, almost agitated.
"Is your brother afraid of thunderstorms?" You ask, making a quick deduction. He gives you a small smile,
"Ever since he was little and he has never really got over it. I don't think Dr Watson has ever experienced Sherlock during a storm."
"Ah."
"Shall we?"
"Thank you, sir." You smile at him. We both walk through the halls towards the door. Mycroft helps you with your coat,
"Since we're both going to the same address I insist that you ride in my car with me."
"That's not necessary, sir."
"I insist." He opens the door of one of his cars that is parked outside.
"Very well, thank you." You slide into the car. He walks around the other side and gets in. The car sets off through the rain. You rub your eyes, I'm so tired and today's been rather eventful. But if I'm going to live with Sherlock Holmes I assume I'll have to get used to it. You try to stifle a yawn.
"It's about half an hour drive to Baker Street," he says. "Factoring in the traffic and the weather it could be much longer." You tap your fingers against your knee, before gaining the courage to ask him,
"Do you want to play deductions?" He turns to you with a small smile,
"Very well. Shall I start?" You nod smiling.