Chapter 33: The Game's Begin

You open your eyes heavily to see you're in an identical cell to Eurus's. You look up at the large white light in the ceiling and take a deep breath. I hate being locked up. You turn your head to the left, the governor is sitting on the floor with his back against the wall like you. Mycroft is at your side and bends down to speak to you,
"Are you alright?"
"Just peachy." You reply but give him a reassuring smile. He holds a hand out to help you up. You stand and watch Sherlock pace back and forth in front of John, who sits up on the bed.
"Did you see your sister?"
"Yes."
"How was that?" Sherlock takes a deep breath before replying,
"Family's always difficult."
"Is this an occasion for banter?" Sherlock gestures at him,
"Case in point." The sound of a phone ringing can be heard. John stands up and heads over to you,
"Are we phoning someone?"
"Apparently." You look across the room at the governor.
"What's he doing here?" You ask.
"As he is told." Sherlock replies. He stops pacing and turns to you. "Eurus is in control."
"Oh, how exciting." You deadpan. You hear the phone connecting and a young girl's voice plays over the speakers,
"Help me. Please, I'm on a plane and everyone's asleep."
"Help me!" The lights in the cell go red and you hear Jim's voice being played,
"Hello. My name's Jim Moriarty." You see Mycroft sigh heavily. This is partially his fault. You don't make deals with the devil. "Welcome to the final problem." John turns to look at Sherlock as the lights turn white again.
"It's okay. He's dead." Sherlock reassures you all.
"He doesn't sound dead." The lights turn red again.
"This is a recorded announcement." Jim says.
"So he is dead." You comment.
"Please say hello to some very old friends of mine."
"Hello? I can hear you talking. Please help me! I'm on a plane and it's going to crash!"
"What is this? We can't do this!" Mycroft says irritated. Sherlock glances at him dismissively,
"Do shut up, dear."
"Is someone there?" The girl asks.
"Is this supposed to be a game?" Mycroft continues.
"Be quiet." Sherlock snaps at him.
"Of course it's a game." You say.
"Please help me!"
"Oh, hello. Um, try to stay calm. Just tell me what your name is." Sherlock says to the girl.
"I'm not supposed to tell my name to strangers."
"Of course not. Very good. But, um, I'll tell you mine. My name is-" You hear a click - the call has been disconnected. "Hello?" A large screen from outside the glass turns on and you see footage of Eurus smiling into the camera.
"Oh dear. We seem to have lost the connection." Everyone turns towards her. Mycroft walks towards the glass.
"How have you done this? How is any of this possible?" Her smile drops,
"You put me in here, Mycroft. You brought me my treats." John turns to Mycroft,
"What treats?" Mycroft turns his head towards him but doesn't reply. Sherlock frowns, and looks round at his brother, who returns his gaze. Eurus raises a remote control and clicks a button. The lights in the cell turn red and Jim's face appears on the cell screen. In a terrible American accent he says,
"Clever Eurus! You go, girl!" You turn away from the screen, not able to look at his face. As the lights turn white again John turns to Sherlock.
"How can that be Moriarty?" Before Sherlock can reply, Eurus reappears on the screen and answers him,
"Oh, he recorded lots of little messages for me before he died." You see the governor sink his head back against the wall, ashamed. Good. "Loved it. Did you know his brother was a station master? I think he was always jealous."
"The girl – where is she? Can I talk to her again?" Sherlock asks.
"Poor little thing. Alone in the sky in a great big plane with nowhere to land. But where in the world is she? It's a clever little puzzle. If you want to apply yourself to it, I can reconnect you. But first,"
(She swings the chair around to face the side. Behind her, on the balcony, you can see a woman handcuffed to a chair with gaffer tape wrapped around her mouth. You see her struggle against the restraints.
"That's my wife." The governor gasps. He scrambles to the glass of the cell. "That's my wife! Oh, God, that's my wife!"
"I'm going to shoot the governor's wife."
Mycroft turns away, horrified.
"Please, no."
"-in about a minute." She turns to look at you all while the woman struggles behind her. "Bang. Dead!"
"Please don't do that." Sherlock says, gently.
"Well, you can stop me."
"How?"
"There's a gun in the hatch. Take it." Sherlock walks over to the hatch as it slides open, he bends down and picks up the gun from inside.
"You want to save the governor's wife? Choose either Doctor Watson or Mycroft to kill the governor." John turns away, while Mycroft lifts his head sharply. The governor gasps,
"Oh God!" John turns back to face Eurus, his face grim. Mycroft stares at Sherlock wide-eyed. Sherlock looks at the governor and takes a step towards him from behind.
"You can't do it, Sherlock. If you do it, it won't count. I'll kill her anyway. It has to be your brother or your friend."
"Why not me?" You ask her.
"Because I don't think you'd find it difficult, Miss [Y/L/N]." She has a point. The governor turns round to Mycroft.
"You have to do this." Mycroft shakes his head. He won't do it. The governor turns to Sherlock.
"Eurus will kill her." We know that. Sherlock looks down for a moment, then tosses the gun into the air before catching it,
"Doesn't appear we have a choice." He walks across the cell. Eurus smiles,
"Right, then." Sherlock walks towards his brother, holding the gun towards him.
"Countdown starting." Sherlock stops in front of Mycroft and gestures with the gun, urging him to take it. He won't do it.