Theresa

For the next couple minutes, we were silent.

I opened my mouth to say something, but then, unsure of what to say, I closed it again.

Then, finally, Violet turned to me, grinning. "You hit him back."

"Yeah." I said. A smile found its way onto my face. "I did."

I slung an arm around her shoulder, and we continued walking. I looked at my knuckles. They were red and swollen from hitting Gabriel, but it was worth it.

Violet stopped in front of a street sign, pointing at it, her eyes glowing. "This is it." She said. "Woodchester street, that's where they live. We're here!"

She grabbed my hand, pulling me with her as she ran through the neighborhood.

"We're here." She announced gleefully, stopping in front of a two-story, brown and white house surrounded by a picket fence.

We walked to the door. I knocked twice.

No answer.

"Maybe they're asleep, we can come back tomorrow." I said to Violet.

She shook her head. "Knock again."

I sighed, rapping on the door twice.

A couple seconds later, a dark-skinned middle-aged woman opened the door. Her eyes widened when she saw Violet. "Violet! My dear, what are you doing here?" She rubbed her arms, pulled her shawl tighter around herself. "Oh, it's chilly outside. Come in, please." She ushered us into the house, closing the door behind us.

She gestured for us to sit at the table, then disappeared into the kitchen. She reappeared a couple minutes later with three mugs, handing one to each of us. We both thanked her as she pulled out a seat for herself, sitting down across from us.

"So, who's your friend?" She asked, glancing at me, smiling.

"This is my friend, Carter." Violet said. "Carter, this is Theresa. Theresa was one of my foster mothers."

Theresa stuck out her hand, I shook it. "Nice to meet you, Carter." She smiled warmly.

Theresa took a sip of her tea. "So Violet, what brings you back?"

Violet bit her lip, smiled awkwardly. "We, uh... ran away."

"Ah." Theresa took another sip of tea. "I see." No disappointed glare, no condescending lecture.

She set her mug down on the table. "Well, you're welcome to stay here as long as you'd like. Violet, you'll stay in Isabelle and Ashlyn's  room, as usual?" Violet nodded.

As usual? Violet must've come here a lot.

"And Carter," Theresa continued, turning to me. "You'll be staying in Cameron's."

As if on queue, a tall, brown-haired boy walked into the kitchen. He grinned when he saw Violet. "Violet, hey! How's it been?"

"Cameron!" Violet rose from her seat, hugged him. Cameron hugged her back, wrapping his muscular arms around her. I twisted my mouth, suddenly feeling out of place.

Once Violet sat down again, Theresa got up, placing a hand on Cameron's shoulder. "Carter, this is Cameron."

Cameron offered his hand. "Nice to meet you." I gripped it, shaking it firmly. "You too."

"Cameron, why don't you show Carter your room?" Theresa offered.

He nodded, gesturing for me to follow him. We walked up a set wooden stairs, down a hallway.

"I guess this would be a good as time as any to tell you about myself." Cameron told me, leading me up the carpet stairs. "I lived here as a foster for three years, and was adopted when I was fifteen. It's great here— it really is." He clapped a hand on my back, grinning at me. "You're gonna love it here."

Cameron's room was small, with two beds, one window, and a small desk that sat in the corner.

"This will be your bed." Cameron said, pointing to one of the two beds. "It's got sheets, a comforter, pillows— everything. Bathroom's down the hall. And uh..." he ran his hand through his hair. "Let me know if you need anything else."

I nodded, soaking in my surroundings.

This is it. This would be my home for the next year.

Hey guys! If you're enjoying the story, please vote and comment, it will only take a couple seconds(: Votes and comments are what encourage me to keep writing!