Sleep

Max's POV

Thomas had been moping around for the last couple of days. Ever since Teresa had gone. He tried and tried everyday to contact her. I talked and thought to him as much as possible. So he might get his mind off her.

Max?
Hey! Thomas, you talked to me.
It was late at night and he'd practically slept all day.
No, actually. It's Aris.
I didn't mind Aris. He could do the thing too but I didn't like it when he did. It got me even more confused between Thomas and Teresa.
Oh, I forgot you could do it too. I'm kind of tired.
I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about Rachel.
Rachel? Who's Rachel?
I had a Newt once. But ever since I showed up with you guys I haven't seen her. I smiled. I looked over at Newt. He was asleep. I wanted to join him, but now I know that Aris is awake.
I'm really sorry Aris.
It's ok. You didn't know her.

-------------------------------------

"I'm hungry. Minho, why didn't we think this through?" Newt asked Minho, our assigned leader. He was sitting on the set of draws and Newt leaned against it. We were all in our pyjamas, but many of the boys had taken their shirts off leaving them in singlets. The heat was unbearable but I wasn't going to do the same.

"Slim it, Newt. Not being a leader has changed you. You're all whiny." Newt gave him a look that said 'really?' then it quickly changed to a small cheeky smile. "You're turning into Max." Newt's smile disappeared. I looked at him with an annoyed face.

"Hey? What's wrong with that?" I coughed a bit into my arm. "You'd be lucky to be me."

"Not in your state." He said. I tried to punch him on the shoulder but it turned into just a sort of pat because I was coughing and coughing. It soon turned into violent coughing then vomiting. I was in the bathroom now, leaning over the toilet bowl. "You alright?" Newt asked me. He put some water into his hands and brought it over to me. I took it from his hands and then stood up from the toilet. "Do you wanna go to sleep?"

"Yeah, just a little bit." I said. The boys room was crazy. The Gladers were scattered like marbles across the floor, rolling around and banging into things. A few looked to me in the most subtle way, but I saw each time. According to Minho I didn't look too good. I was pale and my mouth was dry all the time. I struggled to walk after I had vomited. Newt pushed me through the bustling teenagers. The hunger hadn't hit them yet really. They thought they were hungry but they only had just started to feel it.

We walked into the other room where Teresa and I had slept the first night. He had just disappeared so easily. I couldn't hear anything and I didn't even wake up. Newt pulled the covers off and I plopped down. I took the covers over me and looked up at Newt. He started to leave but I grabbed his pyjamas.

"Stay with me." I said in a croaky voice. He looked at the door. He quickly ran and shut it.

"I'll be right here." He said getting into the bed next to mine. I didn't want that exactly but it was nice to have him there. "Sleep easy, Maxine Samuel." That was my full name. It was on the tag outside Teresa and my room. I didn't like it, but Minho had taken a liking to it. It was too fancy for me. I didn't like it as much as I liked Max. I held onto Max because it was the only thing I remembered in the glade and I really liked it. Now everything is different and so is my name.

Maxi?
Yeah I like that one. That's what Teresa calls me.
I hadn't realised, but the name wasn't a thought. Minutes later I realised it was Teresa who had said it to me.
Thomas? I called out to him. Desperately trying to tell him.
Slim it, Max, I'm trying to get to her.
I know, I know. But she called to me, Thomas. I could feel the excitement coming from him.
Really? What did she say?
She just said my name. That's it I swear.
Max get some sleep I'm gonna try to get to her again.
Ok, bye Thomas.

I slept really well then. I was just so happy for Thomas and I'd heard Teresa. She'd called out and Thomas was so excited, I could tell. I slept easily. Out like a light. I could hear Newt's gentle breathing in the bed next to me. I wanted desperately to jump in with him, but I held my ground. I was just too shy to do it.