eight

they had spent the day in the water at a beach, with a giant, abandoned building and tiny, also abandoned shack that shook every time the wind blew.

"let's go back home tomorrow," yoongi said.

he wasn't suggesting it. he was saying exactly what was going to happen. there would be no debate, and there would be no ambivalence. this was it, the end of their trip.

yoongi hadn't spoken to jungkook since their conversation in the morning on the sidewalk in front of the motel. neither of them were really angry at each other; they mostly just felt uncomfortable and weren't sure if the other was willing to talk things out.

seokjin noticed.

but he hoped that they would work it all out soon, and he knew that they would too. they always did.

and seokjin was right.

later that night, yoongi sat down with jungkook, brown eyes astutely looking at the younger, as if he would disappear and he didn't want to miss it.

"so, i wanted to say sorry for what happened a while ago." yoongi began. "i shouldn't have been so harsh. i made it seem like it was easy for you to just fix your eating habits and be happy again when i'm the one with self inflicted scars all over." he smiled bitterly. "i know it isn't easy. and that's okay. i'm just worried, and you really need to work towards getting better, and i'll be with you, leading you through. okay kook?"

their breaths were in sync, as if they were already together, helping each other through whatever demons were eating away at their insides.

jungkook nodded.

"okay."

° ° °

"it's the last night. how about we do something fun?" seokjin said.

"like what?" hoseok looked halfway asleep, wrapped up in a blue, fleece blanket like a cocoon with his messy hair and vending-machine-cappuccino in hand.

seokjin didn't answer.

he just left for a few seconds and came back holding a projector, plugging his camcorder into it.

seokjin had a constant urge to capture everything into his camera. he'd take videos of them eating french fries and take videos of their late nights around a fire in the trainyard, just so he could hold onto the memories because he knew the seven of them would never last forever.

it was how he coped with anxiety.

he turned the projector so the light was projected onto the shack, sat back, and played a random video.

"give it back! hoseok!"

namjoon laughed, sitting forwards with his elbows on his thighs. "this one? where hoseok steals yoongi's pepsi?"

the video showed them laughing and shoving each other aside as hoseok ran manically with a can of pepsi in one hand.

they watched as yoongi chased after hoseok, yelling with an everlasting grin on his face.

and then laughter broke out as the image of a car covered in black, carbonated soda was projected onto the shack's wall.

("do you realize how long that took me to clean?")

"hoseok, get your ass over here!"

"jin, sorry, oh shit-"

the video cut but their laughter didn't.

"we'll all choose a video to watch. random. anything. who's next?"

yoongi got up and tapped the screen of the camera, sitting back down as the video started.

an image of jimin in a tree was projected.

"tae, help! i cant get out, guys!"

jimin groaned, laughing at the same time as he covered his face with both hands.

they watched in amusement as the camera panned to namjoon, holding a stool underneath the branch jimin was on, yelling at him.

"just stretch your legs!"

"i can't; it's too far down!"

"then grow a few inches, asshat!"

the video cut to black as jimin scoffed.

"grow a few inches? i forgot you said that to me."

namjoon chose next, tapping a random place on the screen.

the videos didn't have any thumbnails. they only had numbers and were shown on the camcorder like a list. namjoon would never have known that the video he chose was a video that should not have been chosen.

it started with them blowing balloons and eating cake with feathers floating around them from the pillows they had exploded.

they all thought it was a normal video; thought it'd just be them in seokjin's apartment having a party.

but when the doorbell rang in the video with a loud ding dong, jimin remembered.

he remembered.

"um, guys, this is the one where-"

he hadn't even finished when taehyung was projected onto the wall, bloody and bruised, stumbling into seokjin's apartment with the help of jungkook.

"guys, he can't even walk, i don't know what happened, oh my god-"

seokjin switched off the projector.

"tae-"

"what the fuck? you had that shit on video?"

"tae, i'm sorry-"

"why would you leave that there? you should have fucking deleted it the day you took it!" taehyung stood up. "i left him because of shit like that, and as if it didn't happen a few days ago, i need to be reminded of him again? are you fucking serious?"

taehyung was angry.

but he really wasn't at the same time.

he was angry at himself. not at seokjin, not at namjoon. he was angry because he had been weak enough to be hit and then make his way to his friends for help. he was angry because he had let himself be seen during such a vulnerable state and let himself need to lean on others for something he should have been able to get through on his own.

taehyung didn't hate anyone but himself.

he stormed away in the direction of the lighthouse and jungkook followed after him.

seokjin couldn't bear to go with them.