ZERO

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ZERO; HOGSMEADE

     EVERY YEAR ON HER BIRTHDAY, Vivienne Yearning spends the day mourning the death of her late brother, Atlas.

     At first, there is always a moment of uncertainty. Vivienne is never really sure her brother has passed in those few seconds, until she hears the cries of her mother next door. Then, the routine begins.

     She heads down to breakfast, where her father is attempting to distract himself by scrubbing the dirty plates repeatedly. Her mother is still sobbing loudly in their bedroom, filling the empty air with her sorrows.

     Vivienne remembers the night so clearly. She was minutes away from blowing out the candles on her birthday cake, and her mother was worried because Atlas was yet to come home. Luckily for Vivienne, her birthday was around the holidays and Atlas was always able to return home to see her turn another year older.

     However, this year, instead of making the call that he was almost home, an unfamiliar voice on the other end of the line was filled with nothing but pity.

     Atlas Yearning had forgotten to get his sister a birthday gift, and decided to travel down to Hogsmeade to get her something from Zonko's Joke Shop. He should've just turned the other direction when he left. He wasn't supposed to see two Death Eaters on the street, conversing about Voldemort's return. He was only supposed to come home and give Vivienne her gift, celebrating and helping her cut her birthday cake.

     Atlas was murdered in cold blood. Vivienne's mother blames her to this day for the death of her son. In no way was it Vivienne's fault — she couldn't help that her brother had forgotten, or that he decided to go into Hogsmeade that day. Nonetheless, she was raised to believe it was her fault.

     It would always be her fault.

poor viv, i feel for her