Chapter Eight

James and I decided to take Mason to New York. We'd stay there for a week and then go to Philly, where we will stay for two days. "When is the baby coming? I need someone to play with," Mason sulked from the back seat. "Uhmmm. In 3 more months," I replied. He nodded and played with his seatbelt. "Welcome to New York, please keep your hands and legs INSIDE the vehicle," James said in a radio voice, which Mason giggled at.

Soon the one week was over and we were headed to Philly. "Did you enjoy your week Mase?" I asked. "Yes, mom. I love the new toys and clothes and games and I also like James. Can we keep him?" He whispered the last part. James could hear but pretended not to. I smiled at his choice of words. 'Can we keep him' as if he's a lost puppy. I looked towards James. He tried to hold in a smile. "We can discuss it when we get home," I said. James drove directly into slow paced traffic. As we got towards the end of the road, cars were making U turns through the hospital. James rolled down his window. "What's going on here?" He asked the guy who was directing traffic. "Construction. Go through the hospital's entrance and then take the 3rd exit," he replied. He switched the gear and drove to the hospital. I saw a familiar car in the parking lot. I squinted at the number plate, "What?" I whispered to myself. "Is that aunt Melissa's car?" Mason asked. I nodded in response. "James, pull over," I instructed. He turned into the next parking spot. "Wait here," I said and got off the car.

Obviously James wouldn't listen, he got off the car as well. That's when the bright idea came to mind. "James get back into the car," I said and also got in. "Knowing Melissa, she won't just tell me things when I straight out ask her. Are you able to retrieve her files?" I asked. He nodded, "My best friend actually works here." He went to the car boot and took out a briefcase with files. Then he filled one of the folders with blank paper and walked into the hospital.

James POV

"Hi. I'm here for Dr. Parker," I said to the receptionist. "He's not in. He'll be here-" she turned and looked at the wall clock, "in 2 hours. I can tell him you stopped by." "That won't be necessary. He was with me a few weeks ago and I seem to have mixed up our files," I lied to her. "His files are in their usual spot. Go ahead and swop them," she said. After thanking my lucky stars that I'm well known here and they trust me, I walked into the document room. "Hastings. Hastings. Hastings," I said to myself as I looked through all his files. Nothing. Then it caught my eye. Cavanaugh. Toby Cavanaugh. I took out my phone and snapped pictures of the files. I quickly put them back where they belong and headed out. "Thank you, Marian," I said and winked. She blushed.

"Mission accomplished," I said when I got into the car. I handed Spencer my phone. "Your sister is okay. It's your ex that you need to worry about," I said. She studied the picture of the medical file and froze. "Well?" I asked. A tear dropped from her eye. She placed my phone on my lap and then called Hanna. "Hi Han. Urgent meeting. Meet me at the barn. Give Em a call and don't tell Aria anything," she said and cut the call. Spencer didn't even give Hanna a chance to reply. "Take me home James," she said. I reversed out of the parking space and exited the hospital.

We were in Rosewood in half an hour. I pulled up outside the house. "Mase can you check if Aunt Hanna is here?" She asked Mason. He was quiet and never asked any questions throughout the ride home. Mason understood Spencer. He knows he's too small for this so he waits until she opens up and decides to tell him. He nodded and got off the car. "James, Toby is A," she said. Her voice broke when she said his name. She started off with a few tears streaming down her pale cheeks. Then the tears increased and I heard sobs.

Spencer POV

He pulled me in for a hug. "How are you so sure?" He asked. "Let's go," I said and pulled myself together. "What's wrong?" Hanna asked as soon as I stepped into the barn. "Toby. He's A," I said. Emily walked out from the restroom "What?" She asked. I explained the past events at the hospital. "Melissa was in Phillys hospital to be there for Toby. I hit A on the head with the fire extinguisher. Tobys files state that he's under observation because he hit his head on the wall when falling from the stairs. This isn't true because he was admitted on the same day that we found Mason," I explained without a pause.