Chapter Four

After a long walk back home, the sisters forgot all about unpacking and the fine pastry. Catherine was sleeping peacefully on her bed, Amira was pacing. Her thoughts couldn't stop- what just happened? Maybe it was just someone's dogs that ran away she thought, but her mind knew clearly that they were wolves. Another thing she knew was that their mother is not finding out about anything that has happened in the previous moments.

“Dinners finished, my lovely daughters”

Amira looked to her mother standing at the bedroom doorway. She is ecstatic that we did the shopping of her so she wouldn't have to go through the trouble. Catherine beat Amira to the kitchen, despite slowly dragging her aching body off of the bed.

“Food sounds blissful at this moment” Catherine stated pulling back the wooden chair. The pastry was laying out, as well as some other food we received along the very cold trip. Amira peered out the window.

The snow was thicker now, up to their shoes would be completely covered in the purest of white called snow. The house was small but sweet, with only Amira and her sister as well their overjoyed mother. They all ate in silence.

“I hope the trip wasn't a struggle for the two of you” the sisters give each other a quick glance then back at their mother who was already picking up the leftover food and storing them.

“It was delightfully peaceful, we wish you were there” both sisters were happy that she wasn't.

“I wasn't feeling all too well this morning, the snow caught me by surprised” she stated and Amira stood up from the table “Is it the greatest idea to be walking around when you are feeling like this? Please, get some rest Mother”

With a deep sigh and a few comments disagreeing with the idea, she eventually gave in with Catherine supporting Amira on the idea, getting escorted up to bed. Catherine made tea, Amira heated up the blankets, and took care of their mother for that day. By the time she has gotten both her daughters out of her sight, it was night.

“Amira.. Can I speak to you?” Catherine asked quietly, gesturing to their bedroom obviously not wanting anyone else to hear. Amira nodded with hesitation already knowing what she wants to talk about.

“So..” Catherine started “wolves”

Amira replied after a short moment “I don't know what happened, honestly! I just did what I thought was best in that situation”

“Keep your voice down, don't want mother to hear” she whispered-yelled and Amira nodded once again.

“They just appeared.. Then disappeared” everything was still as clear as day in her might. The long and thick fur, piercing eyes that took note of her every move, it all seems unrealistic.

“Well, whatever happened- you know what we need to do?”

“We need to go back”

“What the hell is wrong with you” Catherine stated not using a whisper tone anymore “I was going to say we need to never tell mother this!” Amira doesn't know why she said that, nor did she realized the words flew out of her mouth.

“I mean, aren't you even just a bit curious as to why they did that?”

“Of course I am! But I'm not curious enough to go and see which they prefer better, light or dark skin women served on a silver platter”

“Catherine, you're an insane woman who does crazy things”

“And?”

“And this is a perfect opportunity to do something amazing catherine!”

“This is outrageous and not logical in any form” catherine states with confusion as to why Amira was defending such a topic. This was unlike the sister she knew, something sparked alive into her soul making her aching to go see them once again. Amira feels as if there's much more to this story than what they know of so far. They lived and survived being face to face defenseless to a wild pack, both the sisters are aware this isn't normal. Catherine stared back into the pleading look into her sister's eyes, the window to one's soul.

Amira was lost in thoughts, she remembered in the most exquisite detail of the animals they have just met hours ago. The thick fur, the many pairs of eyes that watched every movement. Looking back she feels as if they weren't planning to attack, they were curious.

Catherine released the tension with looking down and giving a long sigh and.replied with “You shall be the death of me, but even so” she paused, thinking of her life choices  “It would be an honor to join you on this one way trip” Amira jumped up and hugged her sister

“Thank you so much! You won't regret it” With that she started packing up her equipment

“We are leaving tomorrow morning” the passion in Amiras eyes doesn't dull due to this statement. She quickly finishes packing her backpack, laying her boots and parka under the bed.

“Amira, if we are eaten alive tomorrow- just know I love you for being here with me all these years” she gives a small smile then disappears, as she is engulfed into the blankets on her bed.

Amira questions herself for a moment, trying to picture the wolves attacking. But it doesn't seem right, she's unable to imagine them doing so. With this thought she sleeps with no worry back into the dreams of the wolves.