MTB: (Part One) Olivia

My Two Bestfriends (Short Story)

I'm still getting used to writing stuff like this so please don't be too harsh in your criticism. But I would love to know what you think.

This is a short story so the chaps will be short and there won't be much drama going on. There should only be, maybe ten chapters at the most.

(Part One) Olivia

The day started out normally. I got up, got dressed and went down to the kitchen where I caught my parents doing things no on their age should be doing. After forcibly choking down a slice of toast and a glass of milk, I went across the yard to Thane's, because-well I wanted answers as to why he and Adrian had suddenly declared war on one another. And Adrian was not talking so Thane was my only option.

For the past two weeks, they have done their damnedest to avoid each other and when they actually are in the same room, they refuse to say a single word to one another, forcing me to relay their rather vulgar messages for them. I feel like a damn rope in a game of tug of war.

I grew up with them both, before whatever happened between them we were always hanging out. They were always more like brothers than friends. And now they want me to choose whose side I'm taking.

How can I take a side when I don't even know what happened!?

I let myself in to Thane's house with the key his parents had made for me, not bothering to knock or ring the doorbell. Thane's parents were away on their second honeymoon now that their only son was old enough to take care of himself meaning they expected me to keep him out of trouble. And with Adrian refusing to set foot in this house no one would have come to the door even if I had.

Thane's house was a quaint two story Victorian although the second floor was only the attic and entirely unlivable unless you could handle all the dust and grime up there. He and his parents have lived here for as long as I can remember. Just as Adrian had lived in the house on the other side of my house for as long as I can remember. Having them as my neighbors never bothered me before but now it was extremely annoying.

“Thane,” I call out as soon as the door shuts behind me, slipping my muddy sneakers off in the hall so I wouldn't have to clean it up later. Lord knew Thane wouldn't clean anything. That boy was hopeless when it came to cooking and cleaning, he didn't even know how to turn on the washing machine.

A song from some band I could not remember the name of was blaring from his open bedroom and I sighed. It was more than likely he had fallen asleep with the stereo on, though how he could sleep with the music up so loud I'd never know.

As expected Thane was laying face first on his bed when I walked in the open door and even through the music playing, I could still here the distinct noise of his snores. It is a wonder he didn't wake himself up with all the noise but he has always slept like the dead even when we were younger.