Chapter 5: Not Asking for Much

Kaden

"You know why you're here, Devon?" I ask her the next day, staring straight in her eyes.

We're currently in my office a few minutes after I sent one of my workers to get her. I need to take action and get her side of the story from that night. If I believe she didn't mean any harm, then I'll gladly become friends with her. But if she meant the opposite, well I just hope Mack doesn't find out.

"Your mad at me because I was drunk and asked Mack to have sex with me at a club. Mind you a club that you have in your castle, that you built yourself."

"I'm actually pissed at you," I say, eerily calm as I set my hands on the desk. "And not particularly a fan of yours right now."

"I understand that I overstepped my bounds and I'm sorry. I didn't know about you and him when I offered," Devon apologizes.

"Did you know he was gay?"

She nods, solemnly. "I did."

I glare in her direction. "So, why did you even ask some bullshit like that?"

She gulps. "Could you please stop looking at me like that?"

I chuckle, darkly. "No, I will continue to glare at you until I get all of the answers I need."

"I'm sorry King Kaden. I wasn't thinking clearly. It's difficult not to find him appealing to look at."

Her comment makes my blood boil. "You will not talk to him again because I can't have you think my boyfriend is appealing."

"I could do that if it will get you to stop hating me. I just don't think Mack will follow along."

"I'll deal with it."

Devon opens her mouth and closes it again just to open it once again. "May I leave now, King Kaden?"

I nod. She abruptly stands up and walks out the door.

I exhale, I loosen my tie and rub my hands over my face trying to relax and gather my bearings. I get into work mode and dive into my emails.

There is one specific email that brings my attention. Its from a kingdom in a neighbouring town. I click on it.

'Dear King Kaden of the Brookson kingdom,
I'm calling a meeting of all the kingdoms in Romania, but only the prime rulers on the 16th of the next month, regarding the loss of my partner and fellow ruler. I'm calling this meeting for a few reasons, all of which I cannot address right now because I am in a rush preparing a funeral. I expect all of you to be there and I will explain in detail more when I see you.
Sincerely, King Ellis of the Farkov kingdom'

I sit back on my chair as I process the email. I wasn't expecting an email for him because he doesn't ask much, if at all, from the fellow kings. I have to go as it is my obligation and I need to show that I respect the Kings. I reply to the email solidifying my answer.

I'll just have to find a person to look after the kingdom while I'm away. I let that thought linger on my mind as I leaf through the rest of my new and unread messages.

I decide to leave my office when all of the emails have been read and replied to. I have no meetings or anything else planned for the rest of the day, considering it's midday.

I open the door to mine and Mack's bedroom and my heart drops when I don't see him. The room smells like Mack and our relations last night. The scent of Mack is still very strong, which means he left fairly recently.

I pull out my phone and dial his number quickly, more worried than I should. The phone rings three times before Mack picks up.

"Are you okay?" I question before Mack can say anything.

"I'm fine, don't worry," he reassures me, but I don't feel very reassured.

"Where are you?"

"I'm in town."

"What are you doing there? Why didn't you leave a note or something?" I ask frantically.

"I'm just getting fresh air, please don't worry. You worry too much as it is."

"Well as you know, I've never been in a relationship with anyone before you."

"I know and I'm sorry I didn't let you know, it was just sudden. I will tell you next time."

"Who are you talking to, Mack?" An unfamiliar voice says on the line. The line goes dead quickly.

My brows furrow in confusion as I will myself not to become jealous, if there was anything going on I'm sure Mack would let me know. I throw my phone on the bed and quickly change into something a little less professional.

______________

A/N: Hey, I'm back from the dead. Sorry I was gone so long, I was taking my time with updates.

Thoughts on Kaden and Devon's chat? The email that was sent to Kaden? The phone call?