Chapter 11: Conversational

A Few Days Later

Mack

"Are you going to tell me what happened at your meeting?" I question Kaden looking up at him and after we've been laying in bed for a while.

"It's not important," he comments, looking away from me and running his hands up my back.

I move my hand under his chin and move his face back to me as I continue to persist. "I would still like to hear about it."

His face looks torn as he moves his hand from his face and holds the fingers on the top of the sheets for a while. He looks up at me a few minutes later, "I don't want to worry you."

"You're making me even more worried, plus I'm not a child anymore," I argue.

He sighs. "One of the Kings called a meeting regarding how his mate died, but the death itself wasn't the focus it was rather how the death occurred. He was kidnapped and the person killed him." He pauses again. "Which is why I don't want you to leave the castle until we have dealt with the problem."

I shake my head. "No, I can't stay in the castle for that long. I want to be able to go outside. If it bothers you so much, then Don can follow me."

He moves closer to me, placing his chin on my head and I move on my side, snuggling into his chest.

"You won't take Don with you though and I'm terrified of losing you." He gives me a long lingering kiss on the top of my head. "I love you so much, Mack."

I kiss his neck. "I love you."

There is a soft knock on the door which interrupts our morning together.

"What time is it?" I mumble.

"Quarter after 12."

"I wish we could stay like this for longer."

"I can come back if you like," Devon says from the other side of the door.

I take my head from Kaden's chest as he takes his from mine. "No, come in."

The door opens slowly and Devon slides through the crack.

"Good afternoon," I greet with a smile.

"Same to you," she says.

"Do you need something, Devon?" Kaden asks, impatiently while rubbing circles into my back.

"Can I borrow your boyfriend for the rest of the day?" Devon asks him.

"Yes, I'm free," I answer before Kaden can deny. "Just let me get dressed."

Devon nods and leaves the room, closing the door.

I move to get off the bed, but Kaden tightens his grip on my hips. "Kaden, I have to go."

"I want you to stay here with me. You said the same thing a few minutes ago."

"I changed my mind. Don't worry about me."

"That's not the reason I want you to stay."

"I'll be back and you can have me to yourself tonight."

I give him a long kiss to signify the promise.

He reluctantly moves his hands and he goes to get some clothes.

"Maybe you could go and see your mom," I suggest walking into the closet. "You haven't seen her in a while."

"Oh god no," Kaden groans.

I giggle at his reaction.

"I'm serious, she is the worst."

"I know, I've met her," I admit, now angry at myself for telling him this.