Chapter 13: New Year

A year later
I thought Justin felt the same way about me. I wanted to tell him everything. I wanted to tell him that I liked him, but I had to deal with the fact he didn't feel the same way about me. If he did like me, he wouldn't have got a girlfriend after girlfriend after girlfriend.

I really wanted to tell him how I feel. I tried to get over him. I had convinced myself that I didn't fall for him. I was content with just being his friend. He would invite me to go out and attend his soccer games, but I kindly rejected his offer. It got difficult to be around him sometimes.

I remember his girlfriend Aria. She went to such lengths to befriend me. Somehow she found me through Facebook and she started to question my friendship with Justin. She really went overboard. If he really wanted to be with me, he would've broken up with her instead of going to the next girl.

I never told Justin that his girlfriends were somehow threatened by me. Keeping our friendship was the most important thing to me. I wasn't going to ruin any of his relationships for it.

I joined the soccer team. It just so happened that one of Justin's ex-girlfriend's was the team captain. I would sometimes overhear her talk about Justin when I wasn't looking or when I wasn't there. She thought I would tell him. I didn't understand. He's my best friends, but we are not tied down together. It's hard sometimes because I felt that I was left out of conversations out of activities.

At first I would become good friends with his girlfriends, but they stopped talking to me after the break up. When I realized that most of them were just my friend to keep me away from Justin, I stopped trying.

I was nervous to start high school. For some odd reason I've become fixated on the future. I fear that I will grow to become no one. The impending fear of failure lingers.

"Selena," Justin said. I looked up from my notepad. I hadn't realized he was sitting next to me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking," I said as I kept sketching.

"I could tell. You had that puzzled look in your face," he responded. He placed his hand on top of mine. I looked up at him. " You're worrying. Why are you worrying?"

"I'm not worried," I said as I went back to sketching.

"What were you thinking about?" He asked.

"Thoughts," I said smiling.

"Let me in. I'll tell you what I'm thinking about," he said. I stopped sketching and put my pencil down.

"Amaze me with your thoughts Bieber," I replied. He stretched out his arms and put his arm around me. He moved his face close to mine so that we were only a few inches away.

"I'm thinking that... We should hang out. Dinner and a movie," he said. " If you say no, my heart will break."

"You know that's not true," I said. I moved back so that we weren't so close. "Aren't you going out with Lacey?"

"She won't mind. You're my best friend," he replied. I wanted to burst out laughing. You can't let him charm you Selena. We've been down this road several time.

"She doesn't like me," I replied. It was true. Lacey was the paranoid kind of girlfriend. She called Justin about ten times a day if she could.

" So are you declining my invitation?" He asked me. I wanted to say no, but my resolution this school year was to get over him.

I've been trying to be Selena instead of being Selena and Justin.

"I got tons of homework," I lied. "You know how my parents are."

"How could I not? Your dad interrogated me when you invited me over for dinner," he replied laughing. "But what can I say your dad loves me now that we have gone golfing."

"Yeah, he still thinks you're full of hormones waiting to bang," I said.

"Did he say that?" Justin asked worried. " I want your parents to like me. I don't want them to think I am with you for sex. I care about you Selena and I cherish our friendship."

"They know that," I said. "We're just friends so they don't really worry about that stuff when I hang out with you."

"We should hang out, then," Justin said. "No excuses."

"I would, but," I tried to come up with a good excuse. I saw Jack pass by. I had an idea. Make this believable. Just tell him you are seeing someone. He shouldn't care. I took a deep breathe. " I wanted to tell you sooner, but I'm seeing someone."

"What?" Justin asked surprised. " Who? Why didn't you tell me?"

I just have to make it believable. " I have been seeing Jack. You know Jack, right? He's on the soccer team of course you know him," I responded.

"Well, I'm glad you're happy," Justin said. "We should go on a double date then. It would be fun and I can make sure..."

"Yeah, I don't think that's possible," I said. What do I do now? "Jack and I... its a new thing and I don't even know if I like like him."

"Look there he is," Justin said. I turned around and Jack was walking in the hallway. Justin got up.

"What are you doing?" I asked. He's going to catch me in my lie.

" I'm asking him if he wants to come on the double date," Justin said.

"No, I'll ask him," I said. I got up and started walking. Why did I tell him that I was seeing someone? "Jack."

"Selena," Jack said as he turned around. This is you're time Selena. Just ask him. He is not bad looking. This can be a good thing. You can get over Justin.

"Do you want to go out?" I asked.

"Aren't you with Justin?" He asked surprised.

"No, what would make you think that? You don't have to say 'yes'," I replied really fast.

"Sure," he said. He smiled and took out a piece of paper. "Here is my number. I will pick you up at 6 Saturday. Granted I can't drive. I hope you don't mind if my brother takes us."

"There is something else," I said. "It's kind of a double date. I hope you don't mind. "

"I don't," he said. "I'll see you around?"

"Yeah," I said. I smiled and headed back to the library. Justin was sitting down. He looked up when I say next to him.

"Does Saturday at 6 sound good?" I asked him. Justin nodded yes.