Chapter 15: Heart Break

"The party will be fun," Justin said.

" I don't think I'm up for partying. It's been crazy these last few months," I said.

"I know you and Jack broke up. He is missing out on a great girl. Don't let him see that you're hurting," Justin said. He lifted my chin and smiled. "This is the first time that we are both single in a long time. I'm taking you to that party. You can be my date."

"I don't know Justin," I replied.

"Please, let me help you," he said. "Come to the party with me. I'll help you forget about everything that is going on."

"Okay," I answered. I wanted to believe that everything was going to be okay. Jack cheated on me with another girl. When Justin found out, he almost got into a fight with Jack. I thought Jack was different maybe only saw that because I wanted him to be different. I wanted to work out. Jack and I dated for almost 6 months. I was kind of happy it was over.

Many times I wondered if I really wanted to be with him or if I just liked the idea of being with him not having to sit back and see Justin be happy with other girls.

"Selena, there's something else," Justin said as he took a deep breathe. " I've known about this for a few months now. You and Jack were always together. I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how to say it. I can't wait any longer. I only have a week left. I'm moving."

"What?" I asked. I felt like my stomach had dropped. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I saw that you were happy," he said. "We're going to make the most out of it. I promise. "

"Where are you moving?" I asked him.

"We're still going to live in Maine, but I will down in Stockholm," he said.

"That's really far away," I said in disbelief. "Your moving like a world away from me."

"It's 282 miles from Richmond and only takes about 4-6 hours to drive back here," he responded. " I don't care. I will come visit you. We will talk everyday."

" We can't make promises we can't keep," I said.

"Hey, look at me," Justin said as he got closer. " You're very special to me. I don't want to ever lose you. I'll be back around 7 to go to the party. It's going to be great."

Justin left and I went to my room and started thinking. If Justin is going to move, I have to tell him how I feel. I have to take the risk and see if he feels the same way. Even when I was with Jack, I hoped he got jealous and would say something. If I never get it out of my chest, I won't be able to move on. It can't just be all in my head, right?

I'm not just imagining not the way he looks at me doesn't mean anything or that when we hang out he always tries to put his arm around me. But what if I'm wrong. Selena, you can't worry about that. You're best friend is moving away. It's now or never.
I was putting on lipstick when I heard a knock on the door. A few minutes later, Eleanor yelled from the bottom of the stairs the Justin was here.

Breathe Selena. I looked in the mirror. You can do it. The worse thing that can happen is that he says he does not feel the same way.

"You look nice," Justin said when he saw me.

"Thanks," I said smiling.

We headed out. We got to Cal's house. There were lots of people inside already. The lights were very dim. The music was loud.

"Justin do you want me to go get you a drink?" I asked him. He nodded 'yes'. I went to the snack table.

"Selena, what are you doing here?" I heard Jack say as I poured some fruit punch into the red plastic cup. I turned to look at him.

"I'm here with Justin," I said. I tried to walk away. Jack grabbed my arm. "Let me go."

"It's pathetic. You think he likes you. Not even when we went out did you ever look at me the way you look at him. You think he cares about you," Jack said.

"You don't know anything, " I said.

"Then why is he with Rosaline. They seemed to be getting comfy," Jack said before he let me go. I went back to find Justin. Jack was right. I was so stupid. He would never see me as something more than a friend. I dropped the cup on the ground and headed for the exist.

"Selena!" Justin said.

"I don't want to talk to you," I said as I kept walking away.

"Let me explain," he said. "It's not what it looks like."

"Leave me alone," I said as I stopped. " I'm leaving. I don't want you to follow me."

"I didn't kiss her," Justin replied.

"Why should I care?" I responded. "You can be with whoever you want to be."

I walked away and he just stood there. I called Eleanor to pick me up. I explained to Eleanor what happened. I should've never got my hopes up.

He tried to call me, but I ignored him. I did my best to ignore him. It was easier once he moved. I tried to move on and forget him. It was hard when he kept calling me asking for my forgiveness, but the calls stopped after a few months.