epigraph

EPIGRAPH

❝ And I don't want to need you this way 

 TAYLOR SWIFT

• • •

It's hard to love someone who you know can't love you back. 

I feel like that's the worst kind of pain there is. If you loved someone but you weren't sure whether they would reciprocate those feelings or not, there's still that chance of maybe. That dangling hope people cling on to and it's all they need. 

But when you know someone cannot love you, there is no hope. There is no maybe. It was already over before either one of you had to say something. Your naivety and stupid heart won't help you stop loving that person or get over them. It perpetuates this vicious cycle of love and want, until the cycle ultimately keeps ending in pain and hurt. 

People say that building a wall around your heart will keep it safe ⎯ keep it protected. I built fucking Stonehenge around my heart and yet he still found a way to tear it down. Building a wall doesn't protect anyone from anything, if anything it makes you weaker. The enemy will keep looking for a weak spot, some way to get in, and once they find it, they will keep tearing down your wall until there is nothing left to protect. 

I loved someone that I knew could not love me back. 

And that is the worst kind of pain there is.