Chapter 7

Trina's birthday celebration itself went like a total blur. The affair was far from being low-key with businessmen and politicians who were friends with the family noticeably in attendance. A short program was prepared by Trina's cousins who included an AVP of her growing up years, greetings from the people closest to her and a dance with her dad like it was her 18th birthday all over again.

"Care for a dance?" Justin amusingly offered a hand to his date for the evening.

Alessa smiled at her friend's chivalry. Placing her hand over his outstretched palm, they joined the rest of the guests who had taken to the dance floor as the birthday festivities went full swing. Looking around, they saw Benj and Steffi engrossed in a serious conversation with Trina's ate Ria who Alessa noticed was no longer wearing her wedding ring. Erik and Jen, on the other hand, were nowhere to be found although Justin assured her that they were just around the premises. She wanted the night to last forever. It felt good to be in the company of friends.

"Les?" Justin whispered to her hair. They were slow-dancing to the music currently playing on the dance floor.

"Hmmm..." she replied, her cheek pressed against his shoulder.

"I'm glad you're here," he said. He held her close as if wanting reassurance of her constant presence in his life.

"Me too," Alessa answered.

"I cannot believe this! Who invited her to the party?" Steffi asked Jen the moment she spotted the unwanted guest in the ballroom.

Jen looked past her and shrugged helplessly. "I don't know. Her parents have some business connections with Trina's family. Perhaps her parents invited them?"

"Uggghhh, the nerve of that woman!" Steffi seethed. "She still has the nerve to attend occasions where we are present considering what she did to Justin?"

"I don't think he even cares anymore," Jen observed. "He never noticed when she arrived earlier with her parents."

"Good." she muttered.

"Hey, there you are." Benj caught up with them mid-conversation. "I thought you were going to the powder room?"

"I was –" Steffi started. "Until I saw who decided to join us for the party," she finished off, gesturing to the VIP tables at the ballroom.

"She's here?" Benj asked in annoyance, recognizing the familiar figure of Daniela Javier. The woman looked bored to be there but was playing the role of dutiful daughter to the hilt.

"Don't ask," Jen said. "We were just as surprised as you are."

"Just keep an eye on Justin and Alessa," Benj ordered. "Make sure they steer clear of her throughout the night."

The powder room was the only place she could confront her without him hovering by her side. It was not a surprise that he was with a girlfriend again years after she had dumped him. What puzzled her though was the fact that he was now dating one of his best friends. Who knew their group actually went through each other's trash?

"Alessa, right?" she haughtily blurted as soon as she saw it was only the two of them left.

The other one turned towards the direction of the voice. "Yes?"

"Daniela Javier," she extended her hand in greeting. "I'm sure you've heard about me."

Alessa raised an eyebrow, wondering whether to be amused or irritated at Daniela's tone. They were batch mates in high school but they never interacted because one belonged to the cool kids group while she was just the awkward newbie. "We've met before." she feigned interest.