29: Don't Do Drugs in Space

After all our systems checked out, we left the planet and headed toward the Varan homeworld. We followed an escort party of four rectangular golden cruisers. Mox told them about the diamond scouts resistant to the Vedma's light ray and our escort grew in size as a squadron of diamond fighters joined. We were guided to a space station that orbited the primitive world of Varan prime. 

The orbiting station was the size of a small moon but square in shape. I mistook it for a planetary object before. I accessed the Brick's computer and dug up info on the station. It was held in a steady orbit around Varan and had been in service for over fifty thousand years. The multi-purpose station was a spaceport for the Varan fleet, the entry point to their homeworld, and a shipbuilding factory. In its gigantic hangar bays, the Varan built their galactic crafts out of the exotic materials their system had to offer. 

The station was constructed from precious metals and diamond with a silver and gold surface that sparkled. Hundreds of thousands of occupants lived there full time. A ring of diamond ships stood in position around the station. They weren't taking chances with the Vedma so close to their system. 

We docked in a private hangar, the outer hull went through a decontamination process, and we were welcomed to the station by a group of Varan delegates. They wore the golden necklaces and armbands that were the traditional clothing of their people. I was given a room with a view of the planet below. I changed into a new set of clothing, another pair of leather pants and what something like a camel hair sweater. I laid down on the bed with the lights off and watched the planet spin below until I drifted off to sleep.

I dreamt of Baba, Yaba, and Faye. They followed me. They talked to me. They called me to return. They anticipated my every move. They knew me better than I knew myself and told me so. I would never be complete without them. 

When I woke up the station was on the dark side of the planet. I looked out the window and the planet had no signs of life from space. Without advanced technology, it was dark as night below. When the Varan sunrise came around the edges of the planet light hit the station and flooded my room. It felt warm and comforting. I lay in the sunbeam for a long time. 

I was reluctantly pulled away from my sunrise daydream by a representative that asked if I would be interested in giving a full report to the Varan council about my experiences on the Vedma ship. I was led to an elevator bank and up several hundred levels. I was taken to a room with a large table. Dreyllyn, the Varan leader was there, as well as six others, three males and three females. They welcomed me and asked me to relay my experience as it happened from my perspective. They conveyed a sense of empathy and understanding that made me feel at ease. I wanted nothing more than to tell them my story. Which I did. 

I started with the impression I got from seeing the first video of the Vedma when we were on Varanidi and ended with the dream I just had. Dreyllen asked if I believed the Vedma priestesses were the same cuttlefish species as the Professor, Mildabbar. I confirmed that I suspected as much. They appeared as the same species of the beholder, or more precisely as the species of the beholder's desire. When I cut Faye during our escape, she momentarily changed into a cuttlefish creature. There was, of course, no way to be sure if that was her true form or not. 

The Varan hoped to somehow use this knowledge to enlighten the Mega Therion who worshiped the Vedma sisters like they were gods. After I was finished telling them my impressions of the events, they suggested that the mental influence projected on me would fade in time and recommended several meditative practices to rid my thoughts of the preoccupation. 

I was no stranger to mind-altering and focus meditation but I secretly had no desire to lose my connection to the Vedma. If anything, I wanted to go back and try to talk with Faye. I remember the wild look on her face when she was riding after us as we escaped. It was obvious that she would have certainly killed us all. Yet, somehow, I still doubted it.