30: The Nidi Years

Dixon contacted asked me to meet her in the observation lounge under the launch dock. I split off from following the whale transport, headed down ten levels and parked outside the entrance next to Dixon's car. I walked up to the door carrying the golden Varan gauntlets under my arm. I heard Nidi before the door open and when it did she came charging at me jumping up and wagging her tail. Dixon stood in the center of the room, smiling. 

The observation lounge was very large and not unlike the communication ports. The opened space was seven decks high with one glass holding back the sea behind it. A wash of blue refracted light surrounded us. There were several large couches set about the space for conversations or just relaxing. I hadn't really seen a recreational area on the ship yet. I supposed this was the living room. 

I couldn't help looking past Dixon. Behind her were more whales than I had ever seen. Both the pods had come to meet the new arrival. There were twenty plus sperm whales moving around in the blue beyond the glass. It was an amazing sight. My eyes panned down and locked with Dixon's. 

"Pretty impressive aren't they?" she said. 

I looked back at whales. "Yes, they are." 

Females with their young in various groupings were moving about, rolling, playing with each other, cuddling. Vronsky was there too, slightly further out and dwarfing the rest in size. With his mechanical attachments, he seemed to be standing guard over the pods. I didn't see Jonas anywhere. 

This must have been happening on Earth for millions of years and no one ever even knew. I witnessed clear family connections and social interactions between these intelligent mammals who had their own elaborate and complicated language and culture. They taught their young. I always liked animals but never thought of them as being so sophisticated. In so many ways equal to humans. Technology brought us all together. 

More and more I began to realize that I wasn't human. I identified greatly with my Echo-1 life and I felt a deep connection to these animals. In my heart, I once shared a planet with them. I still wanted to be from Earth.

I felt a soft fuzzy hand reach up and take mine. It startled me, being both calloused and soft at the same time. It was very warm. To my right, Nidi was standing on her hind legs, looking up at me. The tips of her ears at about a meter's height. Her hand gave mine a little squeeze. 

"Oh, Nidi, look at you." 

She looked at me and gave me an expression of kindness and love. She was no monster, no animal, she was a little girl, a little wolf girl. 

I smiled at Dixon. "I see you've made acquaintance with our new crew member." 

Nidi and I walked over to Dixon, who put her arms around my shoulders and nuzzled under my chin, purring. Nidi let go of my hand and ran around on all fours. 

"I'm glad you're back safe." 

Dixon looked into my eyes for a long minute. She knew how to share a moment of silence. 

"These are for you." 

I pulled the gauntlets out and opened one of them. Dixon paused looking at me for a moment then pushed up her sleeve and allowed me to close the golden bracers over her forearms. She twisted and moved her arms about. 

"They're more comfortable than they look." 

I explained to her about the shield function, the computer, and communications features. 

"They're what all the Varan's are wearing these days. I thought they would be useful when you get to the new planet." 

She stepped back from me a few paces and opened the shield. It had a soft ruby-colored glow. She smiled at me from behind it, then powered it off.