5

Let me think about this a minute.

Colton just stormed out of here, angry. In the process he damaged the door so badly that it won't close, which means I am not locked in here.

But he kidnapped me. Do I really expect him to not have noticed?

I stare at the warped door, trying to decide what I am going to do.

This might be my only chance, and I have to try, right? I mean if I don't try, what are they going to do to me? Why did they even kidnap me in the first place?

My heart races as I realize that I am taking this opportunity. I am going to try and escape.

I poke my head out of the door, making sure that the coast is clear.

The room I am in, is at the end of the hall and there are about three more doors and a metallic door that I am assuming is an elevator.

The hallway is a disaster, to say the least. Pictures have been thrown off the walls, glass littering the ground leading to the stairs and what looks like a few fist sized holes in the wall. My jaw drops open, but there is no one here, so I slowly make my way out.

I step over all the glass, careful not to make any noise possible, before I hit the button for the elevator.

I can't help but laugh at little at the situation. Here I am trying to escape a kidnapping, and I'm patiently waiting for the elevator.

What the hell is wrong with me?

The doors open and I step inside. It looks like I was pretty close in assuming five floors. According to the elevator buttons, there are six floors and a G button... That has to mean garage right? I push it thinking that is my best bet to avoid these asshole kidnappers.

Thinking about it though, this isn't a normal kidnapping is it? I don't think so anyway. I mean, they gave me a nice room, they tried to feed me and even though I am not allergic to the sandwich, he refused to let me eat it because he didn't know.

And if I am being one hundred percent honest with myself, I actually feel safe and secure. My eyes widen slightly as I realize I haven't felt that since before my parents died.

Again I ask, what the hell is wrong with me?

I hear a small ping before the doors open. My breath catches as I realize we are stopped on the third floor. I shrink back into the corner, with my head down. Maybe if I don't make eye contact or move, they won't see me. I hope anyway.

A woman steps onto the elevator texting on her phone. I don't dare risk looking up, so I stare at her black ballet flats. Thankfully, she gets off at the next stop which  I noticed is the first floor, and the door closes before anyone else can get on.

I breath a sigh of relief, when the doors open again and I am staring at the front end of a car. I made it to the garage without being caught!

Holy crap, there are a lot of cars in this garage! SUV's, Ferrari's, Sedans, even a freaking minivan! I can't help but laugh at the thought of Colton driving a minivan.

OK, now what, Avery? Think...think...think.

I look around the garage, looking for anything that can help. Aside from cars the only other thing here is - no way, it cannot be this easy?!

Hanging right next to the elevator, is a rack of keys. Not just one set, but easily a dozen. All sitting in nice neat rows, ready to be picked.

I purse my lips in thought. This is definitely a trick. Any minute now, someone is going to jump out and grab me, dragging me back upstairs to do whatever with me. Or I am going to grab a set of keys and an alarm is going to go off, alerting them of my escape.

I start pushing buttons on the keys to see what keys go to what car. Finally I settle on the keys to a Ford Escape, mostly because of the irony, but the fact that it was closest to me helps too. When no one jumps out when I take the keys, I decide to run towards my grey getaway car. 

I jump in the car and quickly start it. I search the car a little before finding what I was looking for in the center console; the garage opener. I reverse out of the garage as fast (And safely) as possible, knowing that they probably heard the garage door open.

The front door of the house comes into view and as predicted, they heard me. A few people rush out the door as I continue my escape.

My eyes quickly land on Colton, who is looking at me with a mixture of shock, anger and hurt?

My heart clenches in my chest.

What the actual fuck?! I should be ecstatic that I am escaping my kidnappers! So why do I feel heartbroken?

I shake it off, I don't know what is going on, but I am getting out of here. I throw the car in drive and head to the road.

Luckily, there is only one road leading to and from the house, so getting away shouldn't be too hard. I will figure out where I am when I get to the nearest town.

I try to focus on if any of them are following me, but no cars appear. I continue looking around but the only thing I notice is the wind rushing through the trees and a few small animals rushing out of the woods. Weird, I always thought small animals liked to stay hidden and away from predators.

For a brief moment, I can't help but think that Liam would love it here. He loves to explore nature and I can just imagine the cool things he would find in these woods.

Thinking of Liam has me speeding up wondering how worried he is about me. He always worries about me even though he doesn't know what I do for work. I think it is because we are all each other has left.

I can't have him think that I left him.

I'm coming home, Liam. Don't worry.