CHAPTER TEN - Is It Tense in Here, or Is It Just Me? 0:15

We had fifteen minutes before the exorcism. Nessa was whispering to herself, a mixture of nervous self-encouragements and the chant. Charlie was hidden in the rafters, holding a gag that had been doused in holy water. I sat in the middle of the room, rolling the cross on the necklace around my hand and letting the design imprint itself on my skin.

The door opened.

Amy entered the room. She looked supremely nervous, which wasn't surprising considering what we were going to attempt. She walked over to me and whispered, "You have ten minutes. She just woke up from her day-time sleep and is freshening up. When she walks in you can't be seen because the clothes will alert her right away. Nessa must be the one who greets her. I'll hold the door and bar it from being opened until Charlie gives the all clear. Since he shouldn't be making much contact with her I'll trust his voice because it will be his own. Good luck." She turned and her turquoise hair rustled in the wind she created.

"Hey, Amy!" Charlie called from the rafters. "Make sure that you keep your good eye on the horizon. We don't want the sun to come up and ruin our escape." She nodded and walked out. I made eye contact with Charlie and gave him an inquisitive look. "She's blind in one eye. A curse from a witch in the early 1900's. It's actually gorgeous. One amber eye, one marble white one. Plus her turquoise hair really pulls her look together. Ah, I really aspire to be like her." He looked after her with a reverent look.

"She's the one who turned you, isn't she?" Nessa asked as she walked over to me. "Haha, no wonder you think she's so cool." She laughed and nudged my arm. I went over to stand where she had been, right as the door opened and Zephyrus walked in.

"What are you laughing at, dear?" She pushed her golden hair off her shoulder and smiled. The light from the smile didn't reach her eyes, however, and she looked even more menacing than if she'd scowled.

"Oh, it's just that Robin went on a date a few hours ago and it went badly, so he was moping for so long that he lost track of time he'll be here in just a few minutes. Do you want to start the ceremony? I found this amazing ritual in an old spell book in the museum. It lets beings of chaos create perfection and unity. Are you ready to start? I have to tie your hands and feet to the ground though. Is that alright? If it isn't I'll just go-"

"Oh, it is fine! I lay down right here, you said?" She pointed at the ground in the center of the pentagram that Nessa had drawn to add to the effect. The two girls tied Zephyras' limbs to the ground, and as Nessa started talking about what the procedure was going to be I thought to myself, Let's get started.

Zephyras, your hourglass just run out.