2. Skeletons in the Closet

Lavender Sinek
New York City, US.

This feels like such a sappy ass love story right now. Except I'm not in love, and I don't know my mate's middle name, and he probably doesn't even know my first name. Goddess my life sucked.

A couple of days ago, I wouldn't have minded kicking ass and getting some from a good-looking ass, but after those haunting silver-blue eyes, his ass was all I could think about. Hell- I didn't even get to check out his ass.

Fuck my life.

"Hello, earth to Lavender." Ryd snapped his fingers in front of my face, which prompted me back to the living. I smiled at him sheepishly before going back to reading a completely useless invoice.

"You're not okay." Leo stated, and I could feel three pairs of eyes on me. In a lot of ways, me and my brothers were super close. After our entire pack fell to dust, we only had each other.

I'd lived with them alone for five years, so I knew hiding the whole mate- thing from them was going to be harder than keeping my wolf from running all the way back to the Knight pack.

I sighed, collecting my thoughts before I could blurt it out. Damien Knight was on their To-Kill list anyway, what's being my mate going to change?

"I found my mate." Maddox choked on his coffee, and Ryd very nearly fell off his chair. Leo just stared at me with unseeing eyes.

"There I thought you were pmsing." Leo muttered. "Way to drop a bomb, little sister." I banged my face down on the stack of papers and groaned. The cat was out of the bag.

"It's unfair she gets her's first!! She's the youngest." Maddox whined like the little girl he was.

"Who is this mate guy? Is it, a guy?" Ryd was the first to ask, his brows drawn together in a way that told me he had already thought up more than a few ways to kill him. I groaned again.

"Have we met him?" Leo.

"Yes." I groaned.

"Did he reject you?" This was followed by several growls. I could feel my heart get heavy.

"I don't know." I mumbled into the papers.

"What do you mean you don't know?!" Maddox asked, he sounded like dad giving out a good scolding. My dad, who my mate probably killed.

"I didn't talk to him about being mates, exactly."

"Then lets go find him and talk to him!" Ryd again, I shook my head, my entire face rubbing against the papers.

"We can't."

"Why not, Lav?" Leo sounded like he knew, but I didn't want to look up at his face.

"Because he would kill us." I sounded a million different kinds of defeated.

-
Damien Knight
Knight Pack, Montreal Canada.

My life was an upheaval. An incorrigible puzzle since the last twenty four hours.

I had been having a few beers with my beta and best friend when a panicked Guard told me someone had broken into the pack house. I didn't expect it to be a rogue, I thought it might have been a drunk teen, and no one could smell or pinpoint who it was until we were chasing him through the woods.

He was a rogue, but not one who was diseased or dying. This wolf smelled fresh and free as I was, except he had no pack ties.

He had shoulder length dirty brown hair, and looked overall scruffy, but as I stared down a man not much older than myself, I knew he was dangerous and I knew he had purpose other than to simply kill and enjoy it- something characteristic to most rogues.

Mindless killers were easy to control, to put down. Ones who had everything planned down to the dot were another matter entirely. I knew he was more dangerous than any rogue I had ever faced.

He had stolen a bunch of my father's paperwork and journals, which definitely pissed me off. My father was a good man until the day he died, and a random rogue stealing his things didn't sit well with me.

When he spoke, it was of something I had no idea about. He spoke of the Sinek pack and how it was destroyed, as if I had single-handedly brought it to the ground. Spoiler alert: I hadn't.

I was confident in my ability to capture him and bring him down to the dungeons for a good questioning when the gun shots went out from the sky. The rogue was fast and one of the most skilled fighters I had ever encountered.

I almost thought they would kill me, but once I had realized who-ever had the gun only shot silver to my legs and shanks it was too late to call for backup.

Because an angel dropped out of the sky at my feet. An angel holding a gun responsible for my fallen pack members and my immobile legs. My wolf could only whine, in recognition before she was gone- as if she had never been there at all.

Goddamn it.

I tapped my fingers against the mahogany desk as the phone continued to ring, hoping he would pick up already.

"Hello?"

"Alpha Xenos."

"Damien my boy! How are you?" Terrible, just so you know.

"Someone broke into the pack house, stole a bunch of my father's paperwork and claimed that the Sinek line will have blood for a betrayal." It sounded like a soap opera, is what it did. But other than my own far fetched story, I heard Xenos pull in a sharp breath which made my wolf perk up immediately. So maybe what the rogue had said was not baseless after all.

"Damien, that is a serious allegation."

"I know, Xenos. It's why I told you, because he said something about all 7 packs, you should be on lookout." Xenos drew in another uncomfortable breath that had my wolf perking up once more.

"All the packs have been broken into in the last month, Damien." I snarled.

"And no one has told me this because?"

"You took over from your father very recently-"

"It's been a year!"

"Like I said, very recently. And it seemed obvious whoever they were, they had something against the older alphas. We honestly didn't expect them to break into your pack house."

"So you withheld information, put my pack in danger and caused it distress all based on a hitch that they had it against the older alphas?" I was so close to losing control right now, and I knew my anger was palpable to Alpha Xenos, who was all the way in his own Pack Grounds.

"Damien, it isn't like that.."

"The hell it isn't!" I was snarling at this point, my eyes tinging red.

"We believe they are just a bunch of Sinek pack members who want revenge for what happened. It was a horrible accident, son. You know it, we all do. So in honesty, there is no need for us to panic over this, it isn't a trivial matter."

I understood exactly what card he was playing. If Xenos was standing on a podium and repeating this to his pack, I knew that they would eat up this bullshit without a second thought, but being another alpha, I saw through it perfectly.

These wolves on the run wanted something, and they would stop at nothing to get it - be it revenge or something else, and above all, they were extremely dangerous.

After thanking Xenos and hanging up, I stared at the picture of my family on the adjacent wall, and sighed tiredly. Whatever the old alphas had done, it was nothing good, and even if it meant pulling out what my father had hidden so openly during the months leading to the destruction of the Sinek pack, I knew I had to do it.

In a world full of men who only wanted to deceive to get more power and money, someone had to keep the balance.

But where, and how, did my mate fit into this mess of things?