Chapter 4

Over the next few days, Esther stayed in bed as Alula fed her and tried her best to keep her comfortable. She did not see much of the other people who she had witnessed before, but every now and then the old man would poke his head in, mumble something incomprehensible, and leave before Alula came back. Other times, the small boy from before would also enter his head in, even more nervous about coming into the room. He would not say anything more than a small greeting, and most of his time was spent staring at her with great interest. There were more voices that could sometimes be heard, voices that she did not recognize. Yet she stayed quietly in bed, sleeping and eating and waiting for the pain in her legs to subside.

At least once per day, Alula brought in different books and read from them for entertainment. She read with a young excitement, showing a passion for the words that she spoke. She read mostly poetry, which sounded beautiful even if Esther did not know what they were saying, but at times she would read small excerpts from essays about nature and freedom. 

One early afternoon, five days after she had first awoken in the bed, Alula approached the bed holding several pieces of parchment instead of the usual old, musty books. "I have a small request from you, if I may offer," she said, smiling kindly.

"What is it?" Esther asked. "I'm not sure I can be of much help like this."

"Oh no, it is nothing that will burden you in that way." She bent onto her knees and came close to the bed. "Its just...I have some poetry of my own that I would like to share with you, if it is no trouble."

"Well of course. I have enjoyed your company and your readings, and you have been so kind to me as I am healing. Read away." 

Esther was surprised at her own eagerness to hear Alula's verse. She and the others had not yet given her a clear reason as to what happened to her. Alula had often alluded to "falling" or "landing with us" but explained no more than that. Any other questions was met with a dismissal, mainly "all in due time, Esther, once your body settles and your head clears." 

Visibly delighted, Alula brought the parchment up to reading level. She paused, scanning the page and preparing her speech. "This one is called Nebula,"

In an empty sky, in a blackest night

I still see you, and I still fight.

For here I wait and feel your presence

And watch as the others feel your essence.

High Mother, for you, we share our tears

As you watch with warmth over these harsh years.

The fear I feel is the fear you wish

To heal our wounds with your gentle kiss.

She lowered the paper and her eyes with it. Feeling another silence approaching, Esther quickly reacted. 

"That was beautiful." she said. And it was. Not just by her words, but how she read them from the page. Her voice quivered at key points, and when she began the penultimate line, she had paused and almost stuttered the line. There was something in those words that deeply resonated with Alula. Esther did not understand completely, but she was moved by her passion.

Alula glanced upwards and mumbled a thank you from a weak smile. Then she rose out of her chair and began to head for the door. "I will let you sleep, for tomorrow I plan for you to meet the rest of us. They are all very eager so hear from you."

"Wait," Esther called, feeling as if she had disappointed her by not offering more after the reading. "The poem, what did it mean? It was very strange, in a good way, but what do you mean by it?"

Stopping at the door frame, Alula looked back and smiled. She had done this before, but the look in her eyes reflected the same sort of depth that her voice expressed during the poem. "You will know soon, little star. You will remember." 

She said no more as closed the door behind her, leaving Esther alone in her bed.