Chapter 1

There was a boy in his room. The stranger had jumped in through his window, and managed to face-plant onto his floor. Arching his eyebrow, he stared at the newcomer on his floor.

          "Real smooth. Look man if you're wanting to steal something, I'll be the first to tell you that you're out of luck,"

The boy jumped to his feet and laughed. It was a short, breathless laugh, as if he'd been running before toppling through the window.

        "Let's both agree that that didn't happen, and no I'm not here to steal anything." He held out his hand, expecting a handshake. He gave the intruder an are-you-serious look and the hand dropped back to his side.

        "No? well alright. Names Damian, and you're Allen. Now that we know each other we need to get going."

    "Wait how did you- "

    "Look Al, can I call you Al?"

    "No- "

      "Al, buddy, we're on the clock here. Really must be going" The strange boy grabbed Allen's arm and started towards the still open window. He looked to be about six feet tall, maybe more, and he towered over Allen.

Slightly panicked, Allen's entire body tensed, the room spun around him as his heart drummed in his ears. The large feathered wings hidden beneath his sweatshirt bristled like a cat's fur. Allen pulled his arm from Damian's grasp and folded them across his chest in a protective sort of way. The hairs on his neck to stood on edge, weather it was from the draft of the open window or his slight panic he wasn't sure. He was suddenly grateful he put on the sweatshirt, the main reason being that it hid his slight shaking. Not being able to see his uninvited guest because of the lack of light made it worse, as the stranger looked like a looming shadow.

      "Why should I go with you; I don't know you." Allen's voice shook slightly and he prayed it wasn't noticeable

"I can't explain now, you'll just have to trust me" He couldn't see the look on Damian's face but based on his tone of voice it was probably a kind expression, one Allen wasn't used to seeing.

"What reason do I have to trust you? You randomly climbed through my window, face-planted onto my floor- "

     "I thought we agreed not to mention that" Damian interjected

    "- then grab me and demand that I go with you to god knows where?"

Damian looked up in mock thought and then nodded

    "That about sums it up"

Allen sighed

    "look I can't just leave"

    "Why not?"

    "Well, I just- "Allen stumbled over his words and a crooked smile formed on Damian's face.

       "Look Al, I'm offering you a way out if this place. You can take it and come with me, then I'll explain what you need to know, or you can stay here. I won't force you to come with me."

A way out sounded like heaven to his ears, but he was still skeptical.

Damian continued talking "and if that clock is correct, you turned eighteen about three minutes ago which means you're a legal adult, congrats bud."

He looked at Damian wide eyed

    "How did you-"

    "Oh come on Al, you think I'd forget my own brother's birthday"