Chapter 40- Miracle

As I exited onto I-90 after crossing the Massachusetts border, my eyes bulged out of my head at the sight of the long traffic line that looked as if it extended for miles. After all, it was rush hour.

Shit, I cursed under my breath, realizing that at this rate, it'd probably take me at least two more hours to get to Boston.

Anxiety and panic consumed me as I sat in my car, driving forward at an unbelievably slow speed. I kept praying that Tyler would still be alive by the time I arrived at the hospital.

I didn't know for a fact how bad he had gotten injured, but based on the damage from his car, I assumed that he was in for the worst.

And what if Tyler lost his memory? I'd seen several movies where that ended up happening to victims of car crashes. Oh god, I couldn't even imagine what it'd be like if I found out that he had forgotten me.

It took every fiber of my being to remain calm as beads of sweat began to form on my hands and forehead.

I adjusted the AC to a lower temperature and inhaled deeply, trying to relax. The last thing I needed was to get into an accident myself, although I highly doubted it since everyone else was barely even moving.

It felt like an eternity until the traffic began to clear out, and before I knew it, the other cars went back to driving at their normal speed. I slammed on the gas pedal and accelerated down the freeway, constantly glancing at the clock to check what time it was.

Eventually, the outline of downtown Boston's tall buildings came into view. Shortly after entering Cambridge, I located Massachusetts General Hospital, which happened to be within walking distance of the Government Center.

Luckily, there were several open spaces in the parking garage. I ran inside the hospital the moment I got out of my car. Seconds felt like hours as I rode the elevator down to the first floor where the Emergency Department was.

"Good evening, ma'am, how may I help you?", the female receptionist asked when I finally arrived at the front desk.

"I'm here to visit one of your patients," I replied urgently.

"Name?"

"Tyler Seguin."

"Oh, the one hockey player that got into a car accident, right?"

"Yes."

"And you're his...?", she questioned with a raised eyebrow. I lost every ounce of my patience and snapped at her.

"Do you have any idea what I've been through to get here? I was stuck in traffic for hours! So the least you can do is let me see him."

The receptionist looked shocked from my sudden outburst then instantly began to dig through the hospital files.

"I'll send a nurse to escort you to his room. I just need to know who you are first. After all, Tyler is-",

"I'm Christine Miller...his ex-girlfriend," I interrupted her. "Please, I just want to make sure he's ok." By then, tears were beginning to fall down my face, both from distress and regret. I never should've left him this morning.

"Oh. I'm sorry," she said with a sympathetic look.

"It's ok."

After I signed in, a young nurse came over with a clipboard. She must've had a long and tiring day, judging from the lack of sleep in her eyes and exhausted expression.

"Are you Christine?", she asked me. I nodded my head.

"Right this way," she said, leading me down the hall as my heart pounded in my chest. We stopped in front of the very last room on the right, which I assumed was Tyler's.