Chapter Thirteen: Unforeseen Enemy

I guess that means I really love you
'Cause I'm afraid to make mistakes
If you ever left me that would be my first heartbreak

- First Heartbreak; Tori Kelly

Chapter Thirteen: Unforeseen Enemy

Hana looked at Choromatsu curiously as they trod their way towards the forest, back to their house. The goddess's gloved hand was clasped against her tightly—almost hurting her, but not quite.

"Papa, is there something wrong?" Hana asked upon seeing the furrowed eyebrows that the goddess wore. Caught off guard with the sudden query, Choromatsu suddenly stopped from walking. He bit his lips as he crouched down, facing the little girl.

"Hey, Hana-chan..." Choromatsu drifted, "...say, what are you going to do if one of the people who are important to you is in danger?"

Hana frowned at the question as she hit her chest lightly with her closed hand. "Papa! The answer is so obvious! Of course, I'll save them! Even though I am just a small girl, I'll somehow find a way to rescue you or Dad whenever you're in a pinch!" she exclaimed with conviction.

The goddess smiled wistfully as he pat the other's head. "I knew you would say that."

"Is someone important to you in danger?" Hana tilted his head.

Choromatsu nodded slowly. "I...might need to leave you for a while."

Hana's eyes started to water with the statement.

"Oh! No, no, no..." Choromatsu wiped the tears that accumulated on Hana's eyes. "Don't cry please. I'll be back...and I'll even bring Dad with me!" He nervously smiled. "We'll play again! But for now, I need you to be a strong girl as what you already are, okay?"

"I'll be alone again?"

"Hana-chan...I promise." Choromatsu lifted his gloved pinky close to the little girl's face. "I'll be back with your Dad and we'll play again, okay? It's just...I need to help a...friend of mine. He helped me before and I know it's now time for me to return that favor."

Hana clenched her hands behind her as her eyebrows furrowed, looking away.

Choromatsu smiled despite being worried. "Please?"

The little girl's eyes hesitantly peeked at the goddess. Choromatsu's smile never faltered and this finally made Hana lift her hand to meet the goddess's. The latter obviously lightened up at the action as their pinky fingers intertwined, sealing a promise.

"It's a promise, okay?" Hana started to sob, slowly spreading her arms as she walked towards the goddess. Her tears streamed continuously as the both of them made contact, with Choromatsu reciprocating the hug.

The goddess lifted Hana off the ground, hugging her tight as they exchanged smiles, continuing with their way to their house in the middle of the woods.

Choromatsu pat Hana's head lovingly as the little girl slowly delved into slumber. He hummed a small tune that Osomatsu used to hum to him before. It actually had a nice ring into it.

He didn't know what awaits him in the future, in all honesty. Yes, he was a goddess but that didn't mean that he can predict the future. Heck, he might be even disowned by Heavens now because of his past actions.

But strangely, Choromatsu didn't mind it that much.

Maybe all he wanted now was happiness—for himself and the people he holds dearly in his heart.