Misfortune

Daisy slammed her door shut placing a hand over her eyes to shield herself from the sun as she stared at the building in front of us. It was an old, paint-chipped and dusty parking lot inn very far away from our big town. I smiled at Daisy, who only had her eyebrows furrowed either in disgust or by the blinding sun.

With a small chuckle, I walked over to her, taking my shades off me and gently lowering her hand with my other free one while I leaned down and pecked her lips. "Just for tonight baby doll." I announced as I placed the sunglasses over her eyes. "If you want you can go explore while I go get us a room." She scrunched her nose and bit her lower lip. "I'll make sure they have a room with two beds." I smiled while winking at her, the sound of our shoes scraping against the dusty ground.

"Two rooms?" She perked an eyebrow as her lips turned into an 'o' shape. "Since when do we sleep in separate beds?" I laughed and shook my head, turning around in direction of the inn's office.

It was hot, incredibly hot. If I had wanted to change into something warm this morning I wanted to change into my shorts and tank top, be naked if I could. While pushing the cool metal door of the office I smiled at the small jiggle the bells hanging at the top of the door made as I walked in, finding a girl scribbling down something onto the paper sheet in front of her.

"Hello, welcome to Julie's Inn." She cheerily spoke, despise not meeting my gaze.

"Hello!" I couldn't help but sound the same, but the thing was I was happy. "I would like a room?"

She looked up at me, brown eyes wide and alert as she smacked the pencil down on the desk and gave me a confident smile. "A room? An actual room?" I nodded. "So, you don't just need to use the restroom or need a map?" I nodded once more. "Are you sure? I mean, I'm sorry." She let out a breathy laugh and covered her face as her hair shook. "We don't really get many customers."

"Well, I am here for an actual room." I smiled at her.

"Of coarse! My name is Karina, pleased to meet and serve you guest!" She chuckled enthusiastically. "A room for one? For two? For how long? How many beds?" She spoke animatedly as she cleared her desk away.

"I'd like a room for two, one bed." Her eyes went wider as she heard the words.

"Two! My, my! I sure do hope you enjoy your stay here." She grabbed a key from the wall. "I know it might seem beaten down and like someone died in here from the outside, but it's quite nice and cozy inside. Just sign here and it would be-" The bells jingled again, a gust of wind coming in and the sound of soft sandals hitting the wooden floor.

"Hello, I'm Karina and welcome to Julie's Inn!" I turned around and smiled at Daisy who smiled back and brought her shades to the top of her head.

"Hi." Daisy whispered quietly with a matching smile to ours.

"Are you here with him or on your own?" Daisy pointed at me and she smiled. "That's so nice! You'll like it here. Okay, I'll stop this and go back to college duty. Just sign this and off you go!"

Dealing with Karina was quite a task. She was an amusing person, seeing new people got her all excited from what I could tell. Daisy only seem to want to sleep so I let her once we got to our room. I read over the e-mail from the realtor who was meeting us tomorrow on the next state. I felt excited, yet anxious at the fact that I was running away and more importantly with a minor. I couldn't quite comprehend how I did this foolish thing to take the girl I loved away from home just to save her from the claws of her family. I had kidnapped her! I could be classified as a molester or something else and could actually go to prison.

I didn't know what I would do once I met up with the realtor, what would happen with Daisy's education and what would happen to us. I didn't know how her family would react or what lie she told her parents just to be unnoticed for a certain amount of time. How long until they figured it out?

"Daddy?" I turned around at Daisy's voice. She laid on the bed, eyes burning holes into the ceiling as her chest rose and fell at a steady rhythm. "Do you think we can make it?" I made my way over to the bed and placed my hands over her exposed stomach. "What do you think we will do to earn money?" I kept quiet, both of us knowing we had done something we knew wouldn't work out. "We didn't think this through." She voiced out with a heavy sigh.

"I know." I whispered, lacing my finger with hers and enjoying the feel of laying here with her without worrying about her father bursting through my front door or anyone walking in on us. I placed a loving kiss on her temple and felt my heart flutter, I was wrapped around her and I loved every minute of it. Despise us spending time away from our hometown and being alone in a room we weren't lusting after one another as everyone would think it happen; instead I just wanted to hold her forever and never leave the dusty parking lot Inn with the cheery receptionist. I pulled her closer to me, her body feeling cold against my warm one. "We'll figure it out."