Backseat Serenade

V.R.

God. Damn.

His lips are so soft.

And the scruff on his face is so inviting, in some way; along with the hair slightly blocking his vision.

He's just so,

Wow.

"You're..." I said sheepishly, swiping hair from my face, and slowly looking back up at him. "You're a good kisser."

Smiling lightly, he replies, popping a dorito in his mouth, "You too, V." He eats another after a brief moment of silence. "Want to play twenty questions again?"

"Sure, but just make it the question game. I hate limits." I state. "Okay, you ask one first."

"First instrument?"

"Bass clarinet, it's how I picked up on bass guitar so quickly. First concert?"

"Green Day, Dookie tour back in '94. I was, like, seven." He laughs silently. "Favorite movie?"

"Probably Third Star. I'm not usually a sappy-movie person but damn that film left a mark. Favorite book?"

"Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck." He pauses. "Biggest fear?"

"Everyone I love dying before myself; or possibly immortality. Infinity's fucking terrifying. Big secret?"

"Apierophobia,"

I cocked my head to the side.

"Apierophobia, the fear of infinity." He stated again.

I nodded, then repeated myself. "Big secret."

Alex blushed. "I think I love you."

I blushed as well, then his face grew ruddier, then I, then he, and so on.

I felt lightheaded, the whole room began to spin.

"Me..." My throat knotted up mid-sentence, it felt like in one of those dreams where you physically are unable to speak, you jerk your vocal cords with all your might and all you feel is clay in your throat, clogging up your speech- or worse, those not-so-dreams from when you were a child, about to cry because you had done something to upset someone, and are now about to face an adult with large amounts of power. "Me too."

He smiled, and placed his hand in mine.

I woke up and the vinyl-record clock on my wall read 11:23 PM. There was a body behind me, my head resting on his collarbone, his right arm resting on top of my own like a blanket, my legs scrunched up into a ball, letting the tips of my toes touch his knees.

He was still asleep, but I liked it that way. The city lights illuminated his face with whites and blues and reds and all sorts of vibrant shades shining off the apartments and streetlamps and by-passing cars.

I proceeded to rustle back into place, preparing to fall back asleep.

And now that I think about it, Alex really wasnt asleep; because I swear I could feel his hand reach for mine before I shut my eyes.

( A/N: screeches because I am actually insanely proud of this last part

-Paxton )