Afternoon

"Wait, so the baby kicked while you were having having a talk about the near future with Clementine and Sarah?"

"Yep! Funny timing, huh?"

It was the next afternoon, the twenty-third of December. Abby, McGee, and Rubyjane had already settled in very well at the Sciuto house, and now they were helping prepare for the arrival of the uncles, aunts, and cousins who lived in town that would be descending on the house later to meet the new family members. After a cleaning spree that took most of the morning, some people were going off to do a different activity, and Abby used this 'shift change,' as it were to get McGee by himself so she could tell him about the nighttime chat he'd had with Clementine and Sarah about inviting them to come stay with them when they moved to Washington, D.C. for work. When she explained the situation to him, he was very relieved that she had taken the initiative, otherwise he would have gotten up right then and there to do it himself.

Abby rounded out the chat by telling McGee about how she'd felt the baby's first kicks.

"I can't believe I was asleep, though!" McGee pouted. "I was looking forward to that!"

Abby laughed. "Oh, don't be such a sissy and feel this!"

Abby gave her baby bump a few gentle tickles and rubs.

"Come on, baby." she cooed to her gestating child. "Will you stretch out and kick your little legs for daddy and me? Please? Aww... There's a good baby. Thank you."

Amused by the sound of Abby's voice, the baby turned over and started kicking at her, even pushing against her palms.

"Give me your hand, Tim."

He did, and Abby held it flat to the spot, looking at her lover, her eyes alight with joy.

"What do you think?" Abby asked him, smiling more when he put his other hand on the bump.

"That this is incredible, Abby." he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "I love you."

She returned the kiss. "I love you, too."

Suddenly, they heard, "What are you doing?"

Rubyjane was in the doorway of the den, watching her parents curiously.

"RJ, come quick!" Abby urged. "The baby is kicking!"

Delighted, Rubyjane dashed over and held out her hands.

"Where, mommy?"

"Right... here!" Abby put Rubyjane's hands on her middles and pressed them down gently, inducing even more kicks. "Feel that?"

Rubyjane gasped and looked to Abby in wonder. "This feels funny!"

"You have no idea, but what do you think?"

Rubyjane gave Abby's bump a delicate kiss, declaring, "I love my sister!"

Abby fought back a laugh. "The baby could be a boy, RJ. You could be getting a brother."

The little girl just giggled and then turned to McGee. "Daddy?"

"What's up, kid?"

"Auntie Ellie Kate says it's time for shoes."

Rubyjane had signed her words as she'd spoken, and to her parents' amusement, she'd even spoken with a southern twang that she hadn't noticed, or was else just ignoring.