Chapter Three

Howls POV

    "Sophie!" I shout when I enter my castle, automatically grabbing a pan to put over Calcifer''s fire place to frie fish and a pot for mashed potatoes. It was the hardest bit of sorcery I had ever completed, but I had managed to reign the fire demon to keep the castle functioning, after he had been separated from my heart.

    "Goodness, Howl. What is it?" 

    I smile in response. "Markl! Set the table."

    "Wait- Are those potatos?"

    "Yes!" Sophie grins.

    "But I hate potatos!"

    "Now what is possibly wrong with potatos?" Sophie asks, gently.

     "They are too- They . . . They come from under dirt! It is unsanitary-"

    "And so was this castle before I came about!" She argues, deftly.

    "Enough, bickering, my friends. It is time for fish and potatos!" I smile at them, hoping that my food had turned out, as it almost always did. Just as I am sitting down and picking up my fork, there is a heavy rapping on the door.

    When I pull open the door, I remember that I forgot to switch the castle to our massive garden instead of leaving it so that we were at our 'Jenkins setting.'

    "You were hard enough to find!" Artemis exclaims, directly in my face. Her warm breath, scented of strawberries and peppermint, covers my face for a moment.

    "Are you coming in?" I ask.

    "If you stop barring my path-"

    "Howl, why are you letting in sucha rude, underdressed girl?" Sophie asks me, sounding thouroughly confused.

    "She recommended that I purchase Salmon at the market," is my answer. What was I supposed to admit to Sophie? That the odd Artemis had gotten my attention in ways that even Sophie could not?

    Artemis gives me a look but follows along with my claim. She sits with us and we all eat my Salmon in an extremely awkward silence. Well, except for Markl, who busies himself with glaring at his potatos like they are poisoned.

    I can't help but notice the glares that Sophie continually gives Artemis. She just grins back, her smile wide and hardly looks forced.