Chapter Twenty Six

A/N: I normally don't leave these notes, but I am finally posting the long waited for update to this story! I just had my oldest of three dogs put down this morning, so be glad I still wrote this since I finally had awhile to write an update!!!!!!!!

Artemis's POV

    "I beleive you lost this, girl," Solomon hands me my staff, it's red top glowing ablaze as never before. It's power stirs with the blood lust many of these invading soldiers feel. I had forgotten all about my staff after everything that has happened . . .

    "Thank you," I sigh, breathless as I feel it's power in my hands.

    "Now show us what you can do with your magic, girl. Prove your not worthless after all. Prove you really descend from my old friend."

    I shake off the eerie feeling I get when she mentions my past relatives. I lift my staff with one hand into the sky, then slam the tip of red straight down into the ground, and the nearest of our enemies are sent backwards, as if by an invisible wave.

    "Oh my-" Howl starts, but then shakes his head. "Why are you helping us, Solomon? You know we won't cooperate, even if we survive this! Why not leave us for dead?! It would make it easier for you, rather than dispose of us!"

    "Hush, Howl. Enough of your ravings!" Solomon holds a hand in the air as if to silence Howl. "If I wanted you dead, I would have done it myself long ago!"

    "Then what do you want from us?!" Howl and I simultaneously half screech half shout the question, as each of us fights our oncoming attackers.

    "You will know in time, but for now, let us kick some enemy butts!!" Wow Solomon. 

    "Are you saying you are no longer wanting to make us slaves at teh very least?" Howl raises an eyebrow at the older woman.

    "You know what I meant!" She throws a hand on her hip, hesitating, before kicking a man clad entirely in clad, sqaure in the chest and sending him flying.

    "I really, really hope I am in that great conditionat the age," I sigh, as I dodge a knife thrown in my direction.

    "Better hope your still breathing at the age-" Howl registers the glare I send in his direction. "I mean as in survive this battle. Like-"

    Solomon cuts off Howl's rant, "How old do yo all think I am?!?!"

    "Really kind of ancient . . . ." I mutter almost to myself. If looks could kill, the powerful sorceress's glare would have made any possible future generations in my family feel the sting and oh so very smiteful burn.

    "Artemis, duck!" Markl screams. 

    Instead of following the young boy's feeble order, I question him. "Why on earth are you out here, markl?!"

    And then I discover why he wanted me to duck.

   I hear the ferocious banshee-like howling seconds before I feel the claws rake down my entire back.