9 | One I could call king

{Myrna POV}

The morning sky of the Shire was foggy with a hint of freshly baked bread, children's cheers already audible in the distance as the town came to life. We had left quietly, careful not to wake our host. I put my foot into the stirrup and hoisted myself onto Terra's back.

The mare snorted when Bofur and Bifur walked right past her and I tightly grabbed the reins. "Easy, girl." I commanded, calming her down.
My eyes wandered over the Company, thirteen Dwarfs and a human struggling to climb onto their horses.

I chuckled as Nori almost tumbled off his Shetland pony.
"Having fun?" I looked over my shoulder to see Gandalf, widely grinning.
"Just a bit."

The wizard pushed his heels into the sides of his horse and started to lead the group forwards. Rigmor urged her horse next to mine.
"Looking forward to it?" I asked as I saw the deep frown on her face.
"Yeah, it's long ago since we've seen Smaug. I am just wondering if he will like to see us again. He changed. Not necessarily for the better."

I nodded and gave her a squeeze in the arm.
"It will be alright. We made a blood oath, remember?"
She smiled. "That's true."

"Don't worry then!" We left the Shire towards some deeper woods, and I trusted Gandalf in knowing what way to go.

"How long will this trip take?" I quizzed.
Rigmor giggled.
"Already got enough, got you?"
"No, that's not it. I was just curious."

My friend hummed. "I have no clue if I am going to be honest. Who knows what will happen on the way."

Whilst I thought of the dangers that might come along, my feet started to feel uncomfortable in my boots. Of course, I could bend with my hands, but so much less powerful...

In any way, I had to use a sword now. It dangled on my hip with every step the Terra took. We entered an area with more foliage and I immediately felt at home, since Rigmor and I had been spending years with Radagast before we went on this adventure.

How old were we back then? Eighteen? My gaze fell on Rigmor, who was sitting rather sulking on top of her Arabian stallion.
"Are you really okay? Don't lie to me, I know when you're lying."

She shrugged, just staring at the back of Balin, who was riding in front of us.
"It's just that I would have liked it if--"

"Wait!"

Suddenly, a voice forced us out of our conversation. I looked over my shoulder and saw a Hobbit running towards the group.

"Wait!" We halted our steeds as Bilbo rushed past everyone towards Balin.
"I signed it!" He said rather breathless, panting heavily.

Balin smiled and took out a pocket-glass. With care, he inspected the signature as silence fell over the group.

"Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."
I turned to Rigmor, who had a bright smile on her face. The Dwarfs cheered, also being very happy with the Hobbit's joining.

"Give him a pony." Thorin mumbled. He didn't seem happy at all with the Halfling's participation. Only now I saw the spare horse they took with them, just in case. Bilbo's eyes widened and he started to shake his head vigorously.

"No, no, that won't be necessary, thank you, but I-I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I-I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once--AAH!

I laughed as two Dwarfs picked Bilbo up by his shoulders and placed him on top of a chestnut pony. His face was even more terrified than Rigmor's had been when she mounted a horse for the first time.